Fox Triad on my Stumpy is leaking oil after service?

Lars1974
Lars1974 Posts: 105
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I just had by shock serviced - fox triad II - @ via my dealer who than sent it to mojo in the uk.
Since than i was twice out for about 30 & 22mile rides on the SDW and Swinley and both rides i noticed oil coming out from the shock. See picture below...

7d89430a3f8331ff02ec125d1475c734_zps734dd90e.jpg

Is this normal after a service or should i go back to the dealer and have it either replace or send back to mojo again?

I am sure the shock is not designed to loose oil...right?

Any thoughts?
Thx Lars

Comments

• this is normal!
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    It's not oil, it's float fluid. And a little bit of seepage after a service is normal and a good sign that there is plenty of lubrication in there
  • Lars1974
    Thanks guys...that put my mind at ease for now...
    I will monitor it and wiped it clean every ride anyway...

Thx Lars
  • Lars1974
    hi guys,

now my air valve is playing up...
    when i want to check and pressure or pump it up...it leaks air during pumping!!! the higher the pressure the more air it leaks..looks like the valve is broken...

when i did try and quickly press it in and let it re-seat itself some green oily fluid came out...i take it that is lubrication fluid and normal???

can i replace the faulty valve? if yes, is this procedure about right?

1. let all pressure down
    2. unscrew faulty valve insert.
    3. replace with new valve insert
    4. re- pressurized via shock pump.

am I at risk of loosing too much lubrication fluid?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Right process, and as long as the air is out and the shock upright you won't loose a meaningful amount of fluid.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Have you tried another shock pump? as it could be the pump not the valve. Best to eliminate any potential causes beforehand.
  • Lars1974
    I triedmy shock pump on the front fork and there it works fine!