newbie - lower right back pain

lordmerchant
lordmerchant Posts: 378
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
At 27 have just started road biking and am really enjoying it so far. I did 30 miles today and have a terrible pain on my lower back. In the past I have had problems like this on my MTV, and have coddled with my cockpit setup etc to smooth things put. However I know nothing of road bike setup, can anybody direct/advise me to somewhere with a good on depth setup guide. Apolgoiea for any spelling mistakes as this was sent from my phone.

Edit. Not MTV, I meant MTB.

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    You probably have tight hamstrings and or tight hip abductors, you need to do some stretching as no adjustment to the bike will get rid of it, been there and done that.
  • This is very common to people new in the 'long, stretched out' road riding position. Not having seen your bike (it's a good idea to post a picture!) i'd say get a (couple of cm) shorter stem and/or flip it and/or point your shift/brake levers up a little bit to get a little bit more rest in your upper torso. You'll gradually get used to the position. Then you may want to change it back depending on with what precision you were you were up in the first place. Make sure your upper body is as relaxed (i.e. your shoulders, wrists and elbows) as possible while keeping tension on you abdomens. Do some stretching before the ride to get warm and don't go all out in the beginning and on the first couple of rides. Getting used to your bike is part of the enjoyment later on. Trust me :)
  • Joeclark
    Joeclark Posts: 1
    How's your back , does it still hurt?
    You can check out http://www.lower-rightback-pain.com to get more information about your back pain and its treatment ) )
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    May be a weakness in your SIJ muscles...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAl_5e7bIHk

have a look at this,it,s a very good set up guide.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Paul E wrote:
    You probably have tight hamstrings and or tight hip abductors, you need to do some stretching as no adjustment to the bike will get rid of it, been there and done that.

^^ This ^^ used to suffer something terrible until I took to stretching after rides and most nights if I'm sober enough