29er sizing

chippiechappie20
chippiechappie20 Posts: 24
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi, could anyone help me. I am thinking of buying a 29er, but I'm not sure about what size frame I would need. I have read that 29ers are only for tall riders? I am 5ft 9.5'' am I tall enough to ride one comfortably and what size do you think I would need? I used canyons sizing guide, and it says for their 29ers I would need a small. Does this sound about right to you?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They fit the same sized riders as 26ers do. What size you need depends on the make and model. Best to sit on a few.

Is it a Canyon you are after?
  • devbrix
    devbrix Posts: 127
    I'm 5'10" and have a Cube Reaction GTC 29er 17" which is exactly the right size. As Supersonic says sit on a few and preferably ride some if possible.
    All of these things....
  • b_real
    b_real Posts: 157
    Don't rely on Canyon's sizing software. I've read many accounts of it being inaccurate, normally telling folk they should be a size smaller than they normally are.

As above, sit on a few, get an idea about what geometry is comfortable for you for a particular style of bike, then use that as a guide.

Good luck with your purchase :-)
    Norco Sight Killer B

Giant Trance X3 - stolen.
  • Yes it is a canyon.
  • clv101
    clv101 Posts: 12
    I'm 6'3" and after entering all the measurements into Canyon's software says I need an XL. Guess I should trust it?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As 5'9.5" is pretty much average height, it's likely you need a medium?

Having said that I'm only just over that height and tend to ride slightly smaller bikes as 1/ I prefer the nimbleness and 2/ I have short legs (which is why height isn't the only measurement relevant), so while a longer top tube makes sense I prefer extra space over the top tube for my knees while moving the bike about under me - so I ride a small (16") - The Canyon sizing tool puts me on there 16.5" which is a fraction larger in all dimansions on one of their HT's than my Carrera so would say it's about right.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.