Waterproofing altura mayhem jacket.

bladeone
bladeone Posts: 94
edited February 2013 in MTB general
Hi I've got an altura mayhem jacket it's in need of a wash now I know it has care labels to wash and will follow them but I'm unsure if It will need rewaterproofing with nikwax, or you just leave it.

Any advice would be appreciated
YT Capra Pro Race
Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
Cube Reaction GTC Pro (sold)
Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You are best to wash it in Nikwax Techwash it cleans the jackets and improves the breathability some detergents can ruin the breathability and waterproofing. You only need to reproof the jacket if it is leaking or if the rain has stopped beading and running off. You can get a twin pack of Techwash and TX direct wash in proofer for a reasonable price. Did my Montane top a few weeks ago and it made a real difference to the breathability and rain beading.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikwax-Direct-Clean-Proof-Value/dp/B001RE3FSW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361632243&sr=8-1
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Use either pure soap flakes or a technical washing detergent like Nikwax or Grangers to wash it.

Make sure to wash out any residual detergent beforehand by doing a quick wash with nothing in the machine.

Then if you used soap flakes to wash the jacket use a reproofing agent again Nikwax or Grangers afterwards.

I think the manufacturers recommend reproofing even if you used a technical washing detergent but I think its a bit overkill. I only reproof after a handful of washes but I do use technical washing detergent all the time.
  • cheers for that.

gonna buy a twinpack of nikwax tech wash and tx waterproofing,
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro (sold)
    Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo