chain sitting proud of front ring - photo

vroomvroom
vroomvroom Posts: 72
edited February 2013 in Workshop
Hi All
I have noticed that my chain sits a bit proud of my front chain ring, this appears to happen regardless of which gear I am in the back cassette. Is this a sign of a stretched chain or perhaps something more sinister? The chain is not touching or being pushed by the front mechanism.
The bike is about a year old, done circa 2,500 miles; I did have a soft fall a couple of weeks ago on that side. :oops:
Cheers
D2E2697B-8E5E-4583-83FC-60C21C23A9E2-836-000000D9E21CD22C.jpg

Comments

• measure the chain to see if worn.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Worn chain - the internal bore of the rollers wear and slop-around on the pins and therefore don't mesh as well with the chainring teeth.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • thanks for the replies

good to know only chain wear, due a service so will get it replaced
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Worn chain, nothing to do with the rollers.
    The pins on a worn chain are further apart; chainring teeth are further apart at the tips than at the base, being arranged radially. A new chain sits at the base of the teeth and a worn chain sits where the tooth separation matches the amount of stretch.
  • Thanks for the replies

Quick Google search suggested one more test, pull the chain at the front of the chain ring and test for lift
    I think this photo says it all, shiny new chain required
    3DFD111C-E5A7-4C8B-AAAA-30D5C1A7D1DE-836-000001081C1BC21E.jpg
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    If you're lucky, just a new chain. If not, a new cassette and maybe chainrings as well. A worn chain takes out the other drivetrain components too...
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    That's a very badly worn chain, prepare yourself for £££
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Not £££s really - the front chainrinsg will be fine, new cassette- so long as you don't go for Red, D/A or S/Record isn't actually much with the deals currently on.

I see you're running Apex - is that 105 equivalent? If so, then £20 odd for a new cassette, KMC 10 speed chain from CRC for £12 or so, so not bad at all.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Depends how flush you are if it's £££ or not. If it needs a new chain and cassette that's a cost of approx £60 instead of approx £20. It's 3 times more than it needs to be had the chain been changed on time.

Having said that, another school of thought says run chain, cassette and rings into ground in harmony and plan on always changing them together. Not my preferred solution, but I can see the logic.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    if on fitting the new chain you hear strange noises when pushing in either of the chainrings they likely need changing, if chain skips on cassette no matter what adjustments you do then cassettes gone too. Your smaller chainring doesnt look like its had much wear from the phot so if your mostly using the outer chainring you may only need to change that, if not just the chain.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • £22 new chain bought.
    I've fitted it and it runs brill, rear cassette appears fine.

Lesson learned :roll: