I made it! It has begun!

corriebee1
corriebee1 Posts: 390
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
So I've been cycling in from the Park n'ride at Cambridge for a bit, but that's only 3 miles and I've been rolling in on my old MTB. Having bought myself a new road bike (Felt Z6) I've now done the first ride to work from Foxton, where I ditched the car this morning.

I practised getting the quick releases off last night, but still had a few technical's on the first couple of miles thanks to some clickiness on the back wheel. I'm still getting an odd click when applying the rear brake, but everything else seemed to be running smoothly enough. I lost my crappy Bikehut cycle computer to a bump in the road (one little drop and it just died on me!) but it wasn't actually giving me any speed readings anyway, so I may have to get something a bit better when i can afford it.

All in all. A rewarding experience. And now I'm in with the bike, I guess I've got to do it all again on the way home. Strava tells me I averaged about 13 mph, including some serious faffing checking out my wheels. The segments I was moving continuously on are all around the 15 mph mark. Here's to getting that up as far as possible through the Spring and Summer. I'm hoping that eventually, there will be little difference between cycling, and the time it would normally take me to drive into central Cambridge.

Can i officially be a member of the club now?! :D

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    No. Apparently you have to live in London and wear Rapha or Assos to join ;-)
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    bompington wrote:

I beg to differ, there are a few bitter and cynical Scots too!
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Well done - you'll be coming from Royston before long!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Well

I'm Scottish, if that helps?! (South Queensferry originally)

Have to say though, I reckon Cambridge is probably the easiest city to commute in and out of. Strava tells me I had an elevational gain of about and an inch and a half this morning! :)
  • corriebee1 wrote:
    Strava tells me I had an elevational gain of about and an inch and a half this morning! :)

Kenneth-Williams.jpg
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    corriebee1 wrote:
    Strava tells me I had an elevational gain of about and an inch and a half this morning! :)

Kenneth-Williams.jpg

Didn't know strava measure that!

and don't mean usually exaggerate
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    bompington wrote:

I beg to differ, there are a few bitter and cynical Scots too!
    What do you mean a few. We're all bitter and cynical up here :wink:
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    bompington wrote:

not just London. It has to south-west London.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    bompington wrote:

Not just London. It has to be south-west London.
    FTFY.
    Being a pedant helps.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    Veronese68 wrote:
    bompington wrote:

FTFY.
    Being a pedant helps.
    And apparently you have to cycle through at least one of the following: Richmond Park, Kings Road or the Embankment on your route to be in the Club.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    bompington wrote:

FTFY.
    Being a pedant helps.
    And apparently you have to cycle through at least one of the following: Richmond Park, Kings Road or the Embankment on your route to be in the Club.

No.

*All* of them.

Oh, and welcome Corriebee!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    From someone who ticks all the 'frowned upon'* boxes - welcome!

*Hybrid, baggie shorts, Aldi top, panniers and 26" wheels.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • From someone who ticks all the 'frowned upon'* boxes - welcome!

*Hybrid, baggie shorts, Aldi top, panniers and 26" wheels.

His nickname is 'token'

:wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bompington wrote:
    I only got the muddyfox kit....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Did you avoid the A10?
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    hegyestomi wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Me too :oops:

I keep looking for reasonably priced flashy bike gear, but I have worked out that it doesn't exist.

Hello corriebee1 BTW.
  • Daddy0 wrote:
    hegyestomi wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Me too :oops:

I keep looking for reasonably priced flashy bike gear, but I have worked out that it doesn't exist.

Hello corriebee1 BTW.

Ahem: http://torm.cc/index.html
  • Did you avoid the A10?

I parked in Foxton, went up the A10 to Trumpington and then jumped onto the guided bus route. Wasn't too bad really. I'll be going again tomorrow.

Yesterday I had intended to cycle in, but got a flat tyre in the CAR on the way to Foxton. So turned up at the office car park, in the car, in lycra and full cycling gear. Tried to persuade one of the secretary's that it made me drive faster. Not sure if she might have believed me for a while. :shock:
  • corriebee1 wrote:
    Trumpington

*Chuckle*
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • Wow

Sitting in the car this morning, windscreen wipers going and spray coming off the road, i wondered "What the hell am i doing?!"

Little did i know how much fun it could be to commute through adverse weather! Made it in this morning in a little over half an hour, caked in road spray, a little bit wet and totally exhilarated with my first bad weather ride. I thought I was the absolute Don until I registered my ride with Strava and saw just how slow I actually am! Apparently my average speed of 14.5 mph puts me about 2/3 of the way down the board on most segments, and lower on a few!

Motivation to keep going and to get fitter and faster I guess! I am loving it!
  • Yup - I find either gorgeous days or grim days improve my commute. You'll get faster with practice as you get fitter. Shedding baggy clothes for tighter-fitting stuff, proper cycling shoes and warmer weather (thinner air) will all speed you up. Focus on your own improvement for now. And start to think about doing the whole commute by bike!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Yup - I find either gorgeous days or grim days improve my commute. You'll get faster with practice as you get fitter. Shedding baggy clothes for tighter-fitting stuff, proper cycling shoes and warmer weather (thinner air) will all speed you up. Focus on your own improvement for now. And start to think about doing the whole commute by bike!

Thanks! I'm wearing baggy MTB shorts over some Sports Direct tights at the moment, and wearing a hoodie under a decent cycling waterproof, and trainers. I guess I'm neither Aero nor weight efficient! Need to get me some SPD shoes when the cash is available.

You know I live in Luton right?! The whole commute is a LONG way off!!
  • corriebee1 wrote:
    Thanks! I'm wearing baggy MTB shorts over some Sports Direct tights at the moment, and wearing a hoodie under a decent cycling waterproof, and trainers. I guess I'm neither Aero nor weight efficient! Need to get me some SPD shoes when the cash is available.

You know I live in Luton right?! The whole commute is a LONG way off!!

There's at least 2 mph in that lot alone! You need to embrace the Lycra :wink: And shoes & cleats too.

Oh - Luton - I thought it was Royston :oops: . OK, fair enough. But Royston should be your start point. Mind you, no reason why you couldn't do the return leg one summer's evening to Luton.
  • Yeah, I'm thinking Royston could be the eventual start point once the weather and light improves. You've very reasonably assumed Royston as I said in earlier threads that I'd be coming in from the Royston direction. I was looking for direcvtional advice as there seems to be a few different options to come in from Royston.
  • It's worth exploring the side roads (even by car). I used to live in Gt Shelford and used Jamie Porter in Royston to do car repairs for me. There's some good back roads around that area that would get you to Shelford or Trumpington. It's worth experimenting if only to mix up the commute a bit