La Fleche Wallone trip - Advice Wanted

cyclingfury
cyclingfury Posts: 676
edited February 2013 in Pro race
Hi All,

Every year I sit on my sofa watching the spring classics and I'm always saying how much I'd love to be there amongst the crowd. So this year I'm determined to do something about it!

I'm thinking of going to watch the Fleche Wallone, which takes place on 17th April.

I'd appreciate any tips/advice on which town my good lady and I could stay for a couple of days, either B and B or a hotel that isn't too expensive.

Also, any advice you have on where would be a good place to watch the race would be most welcome. We'll be driving over and will probably take our bikes so that we can ride out from our accommodation to a decent vantage point to watch the race. I'm struggling to find much information online at the moment.

Many thanks.

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    The only place to watch the Fleche from is the Mur de Huy: it's were the finish is, plus they do it a number of times, and it's so steep they go slow enough to spot plenty. And because it's on a Wednesday the crowds shouldnt be too crazy to get a good spot on the hill.
    For where to stay, I dont know the area too well, but remember Huy being a small town, a bit gloomy, like that whole stretch of the river around Liege. There's a huge nuclear plant just outside the town spoiling the view. It's not as bad as some of the outskirts of Liege though. Are you combining it with watching Amtel Gold or Liege-Bastogne-Liege? In that case it would make more sense to stay in Maastricht (great little city) or Spa/Aywaille (pretty Ardennes hills)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Plenty of nice places in the Ardennes like Houffalize or La Roche en Ardennes - great cycling country too, quiet roads and lots of hills. Best avoid Liege and it's suburbs.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Like these guys said. If you've got your own transport there's no need to stay in Liege, which is not an attractive city. Somewhere down in the Ardennes is nice, like La Roche.

It's certainly worth trying to get to Amstel or LBL as well.

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • pottssteve wrote:

Don't you mean Amstel AND Liege?
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    Contray to the above I stayed in the middle of Liege for last years LBL, it was as good as city breaks get. We parked up in one of those warehouse car parks which was not cheap, but worth it for piece of mind.

Lots of pretty women in Liege to :wink:
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve wrote:

Don't you mean Amstel AND Liege?

Yes, I probably do. :lol:

In which case, as was mentioned, staying up near Maastricht would be recommended. Walk to the start in Maastricht, finish is a 20 minute ride away. Twenty minute drive to Liege.

Steve
  • pottssteve wrote:
    Yes, I probably do. :lol:

In which case, as was mentioned, staying up near Maastricht would be recommended. Walk to the start in Maastricht, finish is a 20 minute ride away. Twenty minute drive to Liege.

Steve

I stayed in Liege when I went to see all 3 races a few years back. Took the train out to Maastricht and then onto Valkenburg for Amstel. Also took the train to Huy, just a short walk to the climb from the station. Great week, including the ride with ONCE, Saeco and Alessio. :D

8001037379_8a358744d8.jpg

8001037271_1938720c96.jpg
  • pottssteve
    Nice!

Liege is OK if you like gritty urban landscapes, but I'm not a big fan myself. The OP said he had a car so it's not essential that he stays near train stations, though it is easy to get around by train and maybe riding into Liege is easier than driving on a race day. There are loads of country hotels, guest houses etc. around, many right on the routes of the races, but Liege or Maastricht is a better bet for a bit of nightlife.

Bring on the Spring!

Steve
  • Many thanks for all your very useful and informative replies. I'll now sit down and do a bit of planning. Pulling in the Amstel and /or the Liege whilst we're "in the area" seem eminently sensible suggestions.