new bike help,I'm stuck!

alan1985
alan1985 Posts: 34
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
cyclescheme is coming to work in a couple of weeks and payday isn't too far behind so I think it's time to get a new toy, I can either go with a specialized or trek so I've narrowed it down to:

Trek fuel EX7 £2000
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/fuel-ex7-2013-mountain-bike-ec042090
Specialized Camber FSR comp (might be my fav) £2000
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/camber-fsr-comp-2013-mountain-bike-ec042224
or because I've been doing pretty well on my strava whoreing with a 1x9 kraken(5th place on minatour route haha with a KOM in there on a climb section-booo!
Trek carbon elite 9.6 £1500 (anyone got experience with trek carbon bikes-I will be falling off)
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/elite-carbon-96-2013-mountain-bike-ec042082

any help would be great :?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is the company going to allow you to spend over the usual £1K?

Is it cyclescheme? Or another cycle to work provider?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • yeah the shop I'm using said I can add whatever funds I need towards it, so I'll be getting the voucher for the thousand and I'll chuck in the rest on top, cyclescheme is the provider :-)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You should clear it with your employer, as it's actually their bike. You just lease it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • yeah no issues on that side of things as I'll be purchasing it at the end of the scheme, a lot of us go out on the bikes so most will be going over the barrier by the looks of it.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    If you've got a grand available I'd be trying to add some funds and looking round elsewhere, rather than being stuck with the cycle scheme; you may get a better deal.
  • Trek carbon is bullet proof. My friend is 6ft5 and solid and he fell in a badger set - fast and hard OTB - frame was spot on.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • I can stretch to a grand max or the girlfriend would hang me as I've got car related bills coming up soon for me and her so the cyclescheme is ideal, tbh I love my hardtail that's why the trek carbon's in the mix(I've stripped my kraken to 1x9 and replaced all the little bits, hollowtech skewers ect so I'm used to a lightish bike)-also I've only ever had sram so I'm out of the loop on shimano's ranges so when I read a spec sheet I can gleam the basics and read reviews,but just after real world views on the potential bike components :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you have a Kraken, please post in the Carrera HT thread (link in sig)..

'Hollowtech skewers'???

Make sure you cost up the cyclesheme properly, as
    1/ With FMV it will cost you more than you get
    2/ Your on very dodfy legal grounds with buying half the bike cash
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.