Seat post keeps sliding down!

2»

Comments

• Oh dear, even all the Trance's on eBay have got the qr seat clamps with the split facing rearwards. If turning mine around has indeed fixed it, dont I look a wally.
    Thanks for everyones help and comments.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Oh dear, even all the Trance's on eBay have got the qr seat clamps with the split facing rearwards. If turning mine around has indeed fixed it, dont I look a wally.
    Thanks for everyones help and comments.
    Quite like your avatar really.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anyone else run their QR clamp slot inline with the bikes?

Everyone?

Sort of goes without saying that the bit of the clamp that squeezes the seat tube needs to be on the bit of the seat tube that allows squeezing.
  • Some people run the gap in the clamp 180 degrees to the slot in the frame, especially with carbon seatposts. Something to do with distributing the force more evenly.

I can now confirm after a long ride today my bike is sorted, no more slipping. Rotated the clamp, and also might have something to do with the fact I was using halfords general purpose 'low friction' grease on all the new seatposts. I have had a word with myself...
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Good god. For the record i assumed you'd already have it the correct way round, hence why i could not think why it would be slipping.
  • You are right bennett, rookie errors!
    I just kept the clamp facing the same way as when I bought the bike.
    I knew the frame would be fine as Im using a 25mm longer seatpost than the one I bent, which would sit lower in the frame than any potential damahe could have been.
    Thanks for all the comments and help though!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    In your defense - my clamp is 180 deg to the (rear facing) slot. MIne works fine though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    My seat tube has 3 slots and the gap in the clamp lines up with none of them.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • 3 slots would allow more flexibility in the seat tube I'd imagine. More 'squeezability'.

Ive ditched the grease now and am using GT85 as a lubricant for the seat clamp. Works fine and less messy.