Shimano freehub dustcap

anthonyhenderson
anthonyhenderson Posts: 12
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I know noob mistake, but I took it out while cleaning them and broke it where the hell can I get a replacement. Can't seem to find anything other than a Morningstar one and need some thing a little closer to home.

Comments

• Not sure why you mean. There is a seal but you'd need have have taken it apart not just cleaned it. Do you have alive or better explanation?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pictures?

what hub?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sorry, i have took apart the hub to clean and re grease the bearings. But broken the dust cap in the Freehub.

The cap in the shimano freehub in this picture is what I have broken.
    frhub_dustcap.jpg
  • nicklouse
    what hub.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse wrote:
    what hub.

I am not sure of the model, the freehub I have is the same as the one in the picture.
  • nicklouse
    so look at the hub and see what markings are on it or what the wheel build or what make and model and year of bike as it is not a shimano freehub from what i can see.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    nicklouse wrote:
    what hub.

I am not sure of the model, the freehub I have is the same as the one in the picture.
    Same, or a similar, or vaguely like?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    actually it does look like a standard shimano body. not a service part. LBS bin time and see if you can rescue one.
  • The hub is FH-M475
  • nicklouse wrote:
    actually it does look like a standard shimano body. not a service part. LBS bin time and see if you can rescue one.

The picture is from the parktools guide servicing the shimano free hub.
  • Managed to bash it back into shape, will do for now. Rebuilt it back up with a new axle as the old one was bent slightly and the cups had almost disintegrated. Thanks for the help.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:

yes and that is not a service part.

bet i have stripped and rebuilt more shimano hubs them many on here.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

yes and that is not a service part.

bet i have stripped and rebuilt more shimano hubs them many on here.

Have you any experience with the Morningstar replacement ? The cover is in but it is not as snug as it was, may order one. I do plan to upgrade my hubs and rims but I don't know when yet.

http://www.bikesonline.com/morningstar- ... -cover.htm