Cx commute tyre's advice!

Cycling-mad
Cycling-mad Posts: 50
edited February 2013 in Commuting general
Good afternoon and thanks in advance for reading, ill get down to it :
Here's my bike with full spec - http://www.whytebikes.com/2013/product. ... 12&xSec=43

*After a long winter which has seen me off the bike for most (-17c was too much for me) i am looking at getting back into commuting to work within the next month - currently i am using Swalbe marathon winter (spiked) and i am looking for some tyres which will help me along the way - I would really like kevlar guarded tyres? as over here cyclists seem to be very unpopular and usually glass is littered (sometimes) on purpose in most of the cycle lanes / paths!*

The bike originally came with - Maxxis Raze CX Tyre, 700 x 33c, but as i dont intend on hitting the rough stuff now we have been blessed with a 3 week (so far) baby boy iv been looking into something "faster" maybe more slick?
The commute is 20km each way on mainly rough tarmac with the very occasional patch of gravel ect.

Please let me know your opinions! Thanks again Matt.
P.S - A Cx bike - when looking into buying parts and accessories such as pedals should i be looking in the road or MTB sections? Thanks!
THE GARAGE :
2013 - Whyte Saxon Cross,
2009 Giant CRS 0,
2009 - Specialized Rockhopper Comp,

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I had Gatorskins last year but have gone for Duranos this year as I didn't rate the Gators puncture protection and wet grip and general feel. To soon to outright recommend them as they've only been on a week but worth considering.

For a CX (the thinking mans hybrid) you should mostly be looking in the road section except for brakes.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I had Gatorskins on my CX, I loved them and probably did 10000km with very few punctures. but they are a bit sketchy in the wet.

I replaced them with Marathon plus (25x700) when they wore out but these are a bit heavy so am looking to replace these, probably with Duranos as they get some good praise.

Go with whatever pedals you feel comfortable with, I use SL's, but that is all i have ever known. Other parts Road (other than Brakes as said).
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Fantastic! thanks for the advice - so im looking at Schwalbe durano plus - not quite the protection from a gatorskin however its wet weather here alot so i dont like the "sketchy" when wet part :P im less confident now as it is - last thing i need is a off and to be not capiable of looking after the baby :) only question before purchase, will they be able to withstand some light gravel paths or are these road only? thanks again!
    THE GARAGE :
    2009 Giant CRS 0,
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I use GP4Seasons on my road bike - the 23mm set, but they do seem to stick to anything. They've done >2000 miles so far and still going strong. iirc they do these in 25mm too - it may still be a bit too narrow for a lot of rough tarmac and it depends how deep the gravel is. I have taken these all over including some pretty rough terrain including dirt and gravel tracks - so whilst they may not be an ideal tyre, they're capable.

Ah - just seen they also do these in 28mm - so may be a worthwhile option?
  • Slowbike wrote:
    I use GP4Seasons on my road bike - the 23mm set, but they do seem to stick to anything. They've done >2000 miles so far and still going strong. iirc they do these in 25mm too - it may still be a bit too narrow for a lot of rough tarmac and it depends how deep the gravel is. I have taken these all over including some pretty rough terrain including dirt and gravel tracks - so whilst they may not be an ideal tyre, they're capable.

Ah - just seen they also do these in 28mm - so may be a worthwhile option?

I have the 28c GP4 Seasons. Great tyre, very grippy, only become an issue when proper ice is down. I've had them on both my CX bikes and really like them.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • great advice! i think im going to go for the Durano's instead of GP4's as i have a set of gatorskins 28 sat in the garage unused - confidence wise id rather the 32c from the durano's :) thanks all!
    Hope there ok on light gravel! :D
    THE GARAGE :
    2009 Giant CRS 0,