Strava power awesome naughtyness

daddy0
daddy0 Posts: 686
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
On my commute there are a couple of nice steep descents. I managed to place 4th on Strava this morning on one of them. According to Strava my power awesome may have led to me breaking the law by slightly going over the speed limit. In my questionable defense I could see that there were no other road users around and I may have only strayed above the limit for a few seconds in search of greatness.

Do any of you lot know if anyone has gotten into trouble for recording their "overly enthusiastic" rides on Strava?

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Don't be ridiculous.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • daddy0
    Seriously, there are people blatantly flouncing the law all over the place on Strava - and the police aren't interested?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    -
    Daddy0 wrote:
    On my commute there are a couple of nice steep descents. I managed to place 4th on Strava this morning on one of them. According to Strava my power awesome may have led to me breaking the law by slightly going over the speed limit. In my questionable defense I could see that there were no other road users around and I may have only strayed above the limit for a few seconds in search of greatness.

Do any of you lot know if anyone has gotten into trouble for recording their "overly enthusiastic" rides on Strava?

+
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Hey guys, I broke 30mph today. Do I get a badge?

:P
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    Almost everyone who uses Strava in Richmond Park would have been arrested.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    pangolin wrote:
    Almost everyone who uses Strava in Richmond Park would have been arrested.

In any of the Royal Parks.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • daddy0
    Ben6899 wrote:
    +
    Daddy0 wrote:

Well do I??????! :lol:

I'm still trying to break 60, almost got there this morning! :shock:
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Daddy0 wrote:
    people blatantly flouncing the law

Slightly camp Nazi police?
  • daddy0
    Nazis in lycra - that camp.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I've never broken 50, but I should be able to. Need a longer/steeper hill, and perhaps a double rather than a compact that I spin out on.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Dull response, but you cannot be charged with speeding on a bicycle. The best you'll manage is being charged with cycling or pedalling furiously (can't remember which it is).
    FCN 3 / 4
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    +
    Daddy0 wrote:

Sounds like you're from my neck of the woods - link to the segments? I don't know where in Greater London you could possibly hit 60 on a bike - I've never managed that speed even coming off the side of an Alp.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    BigMat wrote:
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    +
    Daddy0 wrote:

Sounds like you're from my neck of the woods - link to the segments? I don't know where in Greater London you could possibly hit 60 on a bike - I've never managed that speed even coming off the side of an Alp.

I can't see how it could happen. Most I've ever managed was 50.6 mph coming down the hill in the link below with a strong tailwind (10mph slower with more of a headwind last weekend!)
    OK, I'm light which doesn't help but that descent is almost a mile long, mostly straight and drops over 300 feet before you have to hammer on the brakes before the broken tarmac and sharp right hander across bridge over beck combo at the bottom! (A shame as the steepest bit is the last bit but you'd die if you hadn't already scrubbed a good bit of speed off!)To get to 60 would probably need more tailwind, a much longer descent and a much bigger height loss. I can't believe that there is anywhere close to that in London.

http://goo.gl/maps/wvj7b
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,679
    Rolf F wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    +
    Daddy0 wrote:

I can't see how it could happen. Most I've ever managed was 50.6 mph coming down the hill in the link below with a strong tailwind (10mph slower with more of a headwind last weekend!)
    OK, I'm light which doesn't help but that descent is almost a mile long, mostly straight and drops over 300 feet before you have to hammer on the brakes before the broken tarmac and sharp right hander across bridge over beck combo at the bottom! (A shame as the steepest bit is the last bit but you'd die if you hadn't already scrubbed a good bit of speed off!)To get to 60 would probably need more tailwind, a much longer descent and a much bigger height loss. I can't believe that there is anywhere close to that in London.

http://goo.gl/maps/wvj7b

There are some very steep bits around Whyteleafe but they're quite short and would be suicidal to attempt at speed unless you could close the road to traffic.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • judging by strava speed curves, getting to 50mph is doable with a big hill and a feck load of effort, even the big wide open dual carriageways down hill, with fit folk and pointy hats don't get to 60mph touch 50mph ish.

be a very special hill I suspect to get to 60mph, needs to steep long and strait.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I've hit 48 in a 30 zone do I win?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    More than me,think my best is 42mph in a 30.

Just created a new segment in a 30 zone which I'm currently KOM of, with an average speed of 31.6mph.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    local kom that betters me recently is a copper.. I followed his commute and noticed he was in trouble rather a lot or he worked at the police staton. I had been obeying road speed limits just in case he's there waiting until i go for his time, then imagine him popping out to pull me for speeding thus preventing anyone avin the kom off him, now I know better the suspected kom copper will be receiving a one fingered strava salute (when this trapped nerve fooks off anyway)

I suspect ill never reach 40+ on my single speed, too busy making omelettes going downhill at 30 on my plug
    larger track chainwheel one day but, eventually i realise to be in with a chance on strava i require n+1 to be a proper road bike
  • bushu wrote:
    too busy making omelettes going downhill at 30

Never heard that before. Funny!
  • You guys need to MTFU. There are a couple of guys that have reached about 130mph downhill on a MTB. I believe the record for riding un-paced on the flat is over 80mph. I guess that wasn't on a fixie. :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    judging by strava speed curves, getting to 50mph is doable with a car
    FTFY
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I hit 42mph falling off a cliff in Wales last weekend. Any more is reserved for traffic-free Alpine descents as far as I'm concerned.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Hit 38mph on the straight earlier in the week
  • Old fart alert!

I've come to the conclusion that chasing urban Strava times is a bit silly. There are segments on my commute where I've smashed PBs simply by drafting busses (not a great idea, but when you're in the mood... I guess others on Strava do it too), and crazy speed descending alongside cars is plain suicidal.

Now, where did I leave my Werther's Originals?
  • Old fart alert!

I've come to the conclusion that chasing urban Strava times is a bit silly. There are segments on my commute where I've smashed PBs simply by drafting busses (not a great idea, but when you're in the mood... I guess others on Strava do it too), and crazy speed descending alongside cars is plain suicidal.

God yes, plenty are to the wims of the traffic gods, and are frankly pointless I've made a good few of them! I view strava as a kind of diary of rides etc.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Old fart alert!

God yes, plenty are to the wims of the traffic gods, and are frankly pointless I've made a good few of them! I view strava as a kind of diary of rides etc.
    Must admit at least two of my PRs on Strava are from drafting buses I've even waited for one to pass me before launching into it's wake.

As for overtaking cars on a descent, why not? It really confuses them.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Old fart alert!
    ...and crazy speed descending alongside cars is plain suicidal...

Down Reigate Hill (the A217 heading South into Reigate) the speed limit is 40mph. Very easy to take a strong primary, get to 45mph down there and you wont be hassled. Obviously look a long way ahead for brake lights. If there weren't cars then 50mph easy. But then I am a fat git.
  • I reached 59mph down from the Glenshee ski centre in the Cairngorms from a standing start. I got shimmy on the bike (at that speed, any balance issues with the wheels show up) - I'd have been more worried had I realised I was doing nearly 60mph on a wet road, with a big drop, rather a long way from any help - with shimmy.

Being big does help with generating speed. I only wish I had the video of it - further on in the ride to Livingstone, the GoPro mount failed (broke), the camera smashed and I lost the memory stick

Here's the ride http://app.strava.com/activities/23197325#

The descent is the Old Military Rd Descent
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I reached 59mph down from the Glenshee ski centre in the Cairngorms from a standing start. I got shimmy on the bike (at that speed, any balance issues with the wheels show up) - I'd have been more worried had I realised I was doing nearly 60mph on a wet road, with a big drop, rather a long way from any help - with shimmy.

Being big does help with generating speed. I only wish I had the video of it - further on in the ride to Livingstone, the GoPro mount failed (broke), the camera smashed and I lost the memory stick

Here's the ride http://app.strava.com/activities/23197325#

The descent is the Old Military Rd Descent

now that is a special hill! looks like it's fairly smooth, ie corners.

• now that is a special hill! looks like it's fairly smooth, ie corners.

Well, yes, except for that right-hander (which seems a lot tighter at 59mph!) with Armco and a big drop-off - just at the point that my speed was at its peak and the shimmy arrived - and it was wet :shock: Amazing to do though 8) Basically covered a mile from a standing start averaging over 50mph.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I should probably add that just because I think urban Strava is silly, it doesn't stop me from doing stupid things to try and beat my records. Descending Dulwich Wood Park - the downhill that ends in an almost blind mini-roundabout - is my personal piece of stupidness. I love a bit of Strava, but I just don't think it's terribly wise to make a competition out of it on urban roads. If you want to pit yourself against the ability of others then why not - um - race?