Back in the saddle.....on Monday :)

mogrigg
mogrigg Posts: 73
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
After foot related problems, I'm finally gonna be back in the saddle on Monday (come rain, sunshine...or snow!!). Can't wait!!!

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I can't wait to get back in the saddle after my colles/distal radius/wrist fracture... plaster comes off in a couple of weeks. I don't suppose I'll be jumping straight back on the bike though, I'm sure I'll be stuck with physio for a while. I can already tell that I've lost mobility in my wrist and it's much weaker, I can barely lift something which weighs more than about a couple of kilos... Anyone got any experience of getting back on the bike after a fracture?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I can barely lift something which weighs more than about a couple of kilos...

You should be fine then.
    Anyone got any experience of getting back on the bike after a fracture?

The only time I had one I rode with the cast on. Obvs was not in adulthood...
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Headhuunter
    I can barely lift something which weighs more than about a couple of kilos...

You should be fine then.
    Anyone got any experience of getting back on the bike after a fracture?

The only time I had one I rode with the cast on. Obvs was not in adulthood...

Notwithstanding my fear of falling off and hurting it or re breaking it whilst it's partially healed, I don't think I could get my hands on the bars properly with the cast on, it's quite bulky round my hand and quite restrictive.... I'm finding it very annoying to have to use PT to get to work, it's the longest period of time I have used PT to get into the office since around early 2002, since then I have always walked, run or cycled....
  • I'm proposing to start the commuting ride on Monday. Hoping that it'll be light enough in the evening by then for me to be a bit more confident on the way home.

Very excited about it!!
  • sassse
    sassse Posts: 64
    Headhunter,

My experience was with a broken lower leg which is an entriely different scenario, but my OS was really practical and open about what I could and couldn't do and allowed me back onto a bike as soon as they were happy I wouldn't do any damage if I came off. So best advise is I would give is ask the OS what their thoughts are....
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    HH,

I've still got soft tissue damage in my left wrist after my off a few weeks ago, fortunately nothing broke. However, changing up at the front is still painful so I find myself avoiding changing down. Also you hit a bump / pothole you really feel it. Apart from that it just gets achy after an hour or so.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Headhuunter
    Asprilla wrote:
    HH,

I've still got soft tissue damage in my left wrist after my off a few weeks ago, fortunately nothing broke. However, changing up at the front is still painful so I find myself avoiding changing down. Also you hit a bump / pothole you really feel it. Apart from that it just gets achy after an hour or so.
    Yeah I was wondering if there would be continuing aches and pains. I'm really keen just to get back to it, both the commute and longer club runs....
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,325
    My hand is still nowhere near full strength from my off in late September. The bone has been strong enough for a couple of months, it's all of the soft tissue that is taking the time.
    Oh, and Asprilla. If you're struggling to use the shifter follow the advice you gave me and go Di2. It's what your body is trying to tell you. :-)
  • Headhuunter
    Veronese68 wrote:
    My hand is still nowhere near full strength from my off in late September. The bone has been strong enough for a couple of months, it's all of the soft tissue that is taking the time.
    Oh, and Asprilla. If you're struggling to use the shifter follow the advice you gave me and go Di2. It's what your body is trying to tell you. :-)
    Really?I was hoping I'd be able to start the come again in late March or something...
  • veronese68
    It's hard to say how long yours will take. It's a completely different injury. I'm surprised at how long it has taken me, you may be completely different. I'd say give it a bit of time after the plaster comes off and then see how it feels.
    Good luck anyway.
    And good luck to Mogrigg for Monday.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,637
    HH, its difficult to tell long term effects of any given injury, but don't dispair about your wrist.
    Mobility is now is not where it will be when you have worked at it. The soft tissues will need some more and painful work once the bone has fixed.
    After I'd not walked for 3 months, walking was impossible for weeks after the all clear because my foot wasn't used to the job of being a foot, and that without having injured it.
    Strength will return, but it again takes time. The good thing is that things even out very quickly to begin with so you will be up to cycling faster than you think, just not instantly.

Ligaments take ages to recover. I'm nearly 2 years from the original injury and I am still noticing changes in comparison to where I thought I was when I'd "recovered" (its easy to measure because I have to stretch my ankle daily).
  • Couldn't wait until Monday, so got up extra early to get myself sorted for today. Felt great, loved it. Roll on hometime :)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    mogrigg wrote:
    Couldn't wait until Monday, so got up extra early to get myself sorted for today. Felt great, loved it. Roll on hometime :)

Good news, I'm never sure why people wait to start, unless your bikeless, just get on and do it.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    rubertoe wrote:
    mogrigg wrote:
    Couldn't wait until Monday, so got up extra early to get myself sorted for today. Felt great, loved it. Roll on hometime :)

Good news, I'm never sure why people wait to start, unless your bikeless, just get on and do it.
    Various reasons. I waited because whilst I could hold on and pedal, I couldn't pull the front brake. The strength and flexibility comes back gradually. So whilst I was happy going for a gentle pootle at first, I wouldn't have been happy in busy traffic. Additionally if you've hurt yourself coming off your bike your confidence may have taken a knock. Not much of an issue for me, but certainly more aware of what can go wrong.
    But, yes. Good news mogrigg.
  • mogrigg wrote:

Ha. I did exactky the same thing!! :D Except it was my first one. Feels good!