Looking to upgrade, need some advice.

atnoprice
atnoprice Posts: 17
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi, after getting into the sport about a year ago (now having clocked up around 1000 miles on my hardtail) I am making progress and think its time to go full suspension.

Now my current bike is a Giant XTC which i built up as new last year and kitted it out with some decent stuff, so the idea is to get a hold of a decent second hand frame and swap some of the parts across. Ever since I hit the downhill sections I found out that this is the part of the sport I love the most, however I dont feel im ready to go full DH and I also still enjoy the XC and trail centres, so Im looking to build up an All Mountain frame with a bit of emphasis on DH. My current forks only have 100mm of travel so i'll also be in the market for something bigger.

Ive been looking at quite a lot of frames and I perplexed at the amount of choice I have. I am also not sure whether to buy a cheapish frame now (so I can get out and ride quicker) or save up a bit more cash and buy maybe a full build which I can customise. So the frames ive been looking at are:

Nukeproof Mega
Yeti 575
Banshee Spitfire
Devinci Dixon

Has anyone had any experience with these? Im not looking to spend a huge amount (although I know some of these frames are expensive!)

Any views on this would be helpful, also any other frames you may think fit the bill? Thanks.

Comments

• Budget? Have you ridden anything with big travel/not XC focused? You might not like certain compromises.

What kind of down hill runs are you doing? You can do lots with a 100mm HT.

Sounds like a 140-160mm travel bike is what your after but its gonna be expensive if you want one that can "do it all", even then you'll most likely have compromises.

2nd hand could save you cash for tweaking and higher spec.

If new - OneOne sell the El Guapo frame or full build £599 -£1999. http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRTITELGUV3 ... _rt3_shock

The Giant Trance is usually highly regarded.
    Transition Bandit also.
    As you say, the list goes on......but without budget, it's hard to advise.

BTW If you use parts from the Giant you need to research compatibility.

Best of luck - sounds like your gonna have some fun.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • At the moment budget is at max about £1500, but that would be for a full build (there are secondhand nukeproof mega's around this price) I have never ridden anything with big travel, but im willing to compromise and adapt!

The DH runs ive been doing arn't anything too big, just some out in the peak district and also some of the old runs at Sherwood Pines, and like you said the 100mm HT can handle that stuff pretty well, I just find that when I push myself I bottom the forks out, which makes me hold back a little.

Yeah i was thinking the same, definitely want to go down the secondhand route. I did have a quick look at the El Guapo and its pretty nice, also the price is very attractive. I'll have a better look into it. Thanks.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    If you want to keep it cheap go for a 2nd hand frame from one of the big brands, Specialized, Giant, Trek etc ... They all make good enough bikes and are popular so you hopefully stand a better chance of finding a good bargain.

The Banshee and Devinci could be hard to find 2nd hand.

Also if you haven't ridden this kinda of bike before, it might be worth getting a few demo bikes and seeing what you prefer. It would help make the short-list manageable.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Also the 140mm -160mm travel bikes can be quite confusing. Some are more all rounders some are more orientated to going down, some are like XC race bikes with more travel etc ...

Its hard to recommend something as a lot depends on personal preference. Try a few out and see what works for you and then try and find a similar older model on the 2nd market.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At that budget I'd take a serious look at the El Guapo with a view to a DIY build carrying over what makes sense to from the XTC and sourcing some other stuff as 'good used', you'll easily do it under budget, as an example my Kraken (link in sig) has cost about £600 in total, total of parts on the bike is about £400 and it has a lot of XT/XTR in that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeah just been taking a serious look at the El Guapo, the price is very nice for the full build, seems really good value. Cant seem to find the frames second hand though, the only thing putting me off building one up is having to buy a new fork aswell, I currently have the CTD Fox forks (dropout) and Shimano MT15 wheelset on my XTC. I'd want a longer travel fork with QR through-axle which would mean new fork and wheelset, by the time ive bought the frame fork and wheelset Im sure it wouldnt be far off the price of a brand new full build El Guapo (Which also has a Reverb post!)
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Yep I'd be looking at full build second hand for that money. You're risking a lot of stuff not swapping over properly.

Plus you'll just end up buying another hardtail anyway so you may as well just keep it.
  • atnoprice wrote:
    Yeah just been taking a serious look at the El Guapo, the price is very nice for the full build, seems really good value. Cant seem to find the frames second hand though, the only thing putting me off building one up is having to buy a new fork aswell, I currently have the CTD Fox forks (dropout) and Shimano MT15 wheelset on my XTC. I'd want a longer travel fork with QR through-axle which would mean new fork and wheelset, by the time ive bought the frame fork and wheelset Im sure it wouldnt be far off the price of a brand new full build El Guapo (Which also has a Reverb post!)

It would be good to demo a few 140-160 bikes, build up a picture of what suits you, and create a short list of 2nd hand builds based on that. Also, and if it was me this is what I'd do (and its easy to suggest when its not :D), is go and see the OnOne/PlanetX boys and try an El Guapo. If you love it, save a bit more cash or cash in the Giant, and buy one. Awesome spec, dropper post great suspension and wheelset etc., etc. You will struggle finding one of these in the classifieds//fleabay.

Paul

• atnoprice wrote:
    Yeah just been taking a serious look at the El Guapo, the price is very nice for the full build, seems really good value. Cant seem to find the frames second hand though, the only thing putting me off building one up is having to buy a new fork aswell, I currently have the CTD Fox forks (dropout) and Shimano MT15 wheelset on my XTC. I'd want a longer travel fork with QR through-axle which would mean new fork and wheelset, by the time ive bought the frame fork and wheelset Im sure it wouldnt be far off the price of a brand new full build El Guapo (Which also has a Reverb post!)

It would be good to demo a few 140-160 bikes, build up a picture of what suits you, and create a short list of 2nd hand builds based on that. Also, and if it was me this is what I'd do (and its easy to suggest when its not :D), is go and see the OnOne/PlanetX boys and try an El Guapo. If you love it, save a bit more cash or cash in the Giant, and buy one. Awesome spec, dropper post great suspension and wheelset etc., etc. You will struggle finding one of these in the classifieds//fleabay.

Paul

As it happens Planet X has just opened a Showroom in Rotherham (which is where im from!) :D
  • I would get down there quick. They were expecting a delivery of all size el guapos today. Been considering it myself.
  • I would get down there quick. They were expecting a delivery of all size el guapos today. Been considering it myself.

There you go Antopeice, looks like this is fate calling you, and it is a cracking bike. If you do pick one up, let me know and I can message Brant for a little kickback as I've been waiting for them to make their new wooly hats available. ;D

Depending if you like it of course. But I'm sure you will.