Aintree - Liverpool - where to ride?

tezboy1234
tezboy1234 Posts: 132
edited February 2013 in MTB general
Firstly, i would like to start by saying i have no desire for road riding, although some will be required as a means of getting from A-B. I also don't want to have to travel too far, so London for example is out of the question.

What im looking for is places to go on a mountain bike. I'm not too fussy on anything else, so cycle paths, forests or trails of any kind would be good. I have a cross country hardtail mountain bike, so full on downhill stuff will be no good either. I like scenic places and foresty type stuff, and its hard to find anywhere to go.

My normal route is to enter the Leeds to Liverpool canal by the Aintree Racecourse entrance, then go up a few mile or so to Maghull, then come off the canal and enter the Transpennine cycle path, wich i take all the way up to the beginning of Southport, were the Royal Birkdale Golf Club is. There and back is 24 mile total.

I have heard that theres a bike trail wich goes through the Formby Pine Forest, and there's a signpost for Formby at the end of the Transpennine route, but when i took it, it ended and i found myself at a rounderbout and had no idea were i should go, so i left it, lol.

Can anyone suggest any plces i could go? Ilive by Aintree Racecourse in Liverpool. The closer to here the better really, although i'm aware i'll probably have to do some travelling.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments