Trek Domane 5.2

gareth2134
gareth2134 Posts: 198
edited February 2013 in Road general
getting the Domane 5.2 and from what I have read and understand the slight sacrifice you give in speed you make up for in comfort and not being as rigid in the saddle.

Has anyone used the Domanes yet and if so what do you think. I have always had Madones last bike was madone 4.9 which I used to do LEJOG on and I loved it. Also I always do 100 milers on weekends and minimum of 50 milers on any ride so having this Domane seems more reasonable due to the amount of distance covered on each ride.

Anyway be interesting to get peoples thoughts on the Domane. Cheers

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    It's a Trek.

You only sacrifice speed if you do not pedal as hard :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Try one out. You could have the fastest bike in the world, but if it isn't comfy that won't count for toffee.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    smidsy wrote:
    It's a Trek.

You only sacrifice speed if you do not pedal as hard :-)

This ^^^^^^
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Grill wrote:
    Try one out. You could have the fastest bike in the world, but if it isn't comfy that won't count for toffee.

yeah comfort is fine and all but as where the Madone is rigid and aggressive the Domane is not so much and has an absorption factor on rough terrain. Now it doesnt effect to much speed but it does have an impact so my question is has someone tried it themself and did they notice the difference on a long ride.

ive sat on it and had small ride and feels nice but on long distance I don't know but I do know I shouldn't have any issues.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I doubt the pros would use it at PR and Flanders if it sapped a lot of watts. I did read one post saying (a lower end model) felt a bit dead but so does my Roubaix (I'm sure it would feel snappy enough in an s-works version). You'd probably notice more of a difference in feeling by upgrading it's wheels though rather than getting a more expensive version of the frame.
  • http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/ro ... mane_5_2/#

Thats my new beast right their but looking through the specs i dont see much thats needed for upgrade.

I think only reason to upgrade at this level would be for races and you would be extremely sensitive to notice the difference.

Obviously be nice to upgrade or even just by a higher model but I think spec wise this bike is more than sufficent I just want to know how people found it on a long ride.

One of the tours was won on the Domane so I imagine it can't be that sluggish but yeah I would probably say good wheels will always make up for the points where it sacrifices it's aggressivness.

Cheers dude
  • Angel1
    Angel1 Posts: 55
    here's a review for last year's 6.2

http://pearsoncycles.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... ane-6.html
  • Angel1 wrote:

Nice review on the dynamics. can you compare it to the madone or have you not done any riding on madone.I have only had aggressive rigid bikes so the Domane is a new door to cycling for me and I hope to do serious miles this year.

6.2 is a whole new breed of bike, I like the idea of putting your own name on it or slogan how awesome.
  • gareth2134 wrote:
    Grill wrote:

yeah comfort is fine and all but as where the Madone is rigid and aggressive the Domane is not so much and has an absorption factor on rough terrain. Now it doesnt effect to much speed but it does have an impact so my question is has someone tried it themself and did they notice the difference on a long ride.

ive sat on it and had small ride and feels nice but on long distance I don't know but I do know I shouldn't have any issues.

FFS. This absorption factor you worry about will be somewhere between zero and the square root of bugger all.
  • gareth2134 wrote:
    Grill wrote:

FFS. This absorption factor you worry about will be somewhere between zero and the square root of bugger all.

go back to your hole genius and stop being a keyboard warrior. Clearly you cant hold a conerversation
  • gareth2134 wrote:
    gareth2134 wrote:
    Grill wrote:

go back to your hole genius and stop being a keyboard warrior. Clearly you cant hold a conerversation

Perhaps, but at least I can spell it
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    gareth2134 wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Based on what ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    gareth2134 wrote:
    6.2 is a whole new breed of bike, I like the idea of putting your own name on it or slogan how awesome.

Can you arrange to put your own decals on it :?:
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    gareth2134 wrote:

Can you arrange to put your own decals on it :?:

Yeah from what I gather from the review Trek will ask you if you want your name or slogan on it. I imagine they will be limits to what you can have on it for obvious reasons based on advertisement but nice to have that personal touch I guess.
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    Angel1 wrote:

Hell of a review that. I was considering a Giant Defy at £2k but I may look at the Do Ma Ney :D now.
  • dg74 wrote:
    Angel1 wrote:

Hell of a review that. I was considering a Giant Defy at £2k but I may look at the Do Ma Ney :D now.

haha Yeah for a while I been calling it the DO MAIN only that I seen a video with Fabian Cancellara and heard the name. Whats concerning is the staff in Evans cycle at the time was saying DO MAIN haha so maybe some training needed their lol.

I am really happy with getting the Do Ma Ney and cant wait to get involved with some events this year.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    gareth2134 wrote:
    haha Yeah for a while I been calling it the DO MAIN only that I seen a video with Fabian Cancellara and heard the name. Whats concerning is the staff in Evans cycle at the time was saying DO MAIN haha so maybe some training needed their lol.

I am really happy with getting the Do Ma Ney and cant wait to get involved with some events this year.

Cancellara would call it that, because he is of Italian descent. A Frenchman would probably pronounce it Do-Man. A Brit would pronounce it Do-Main. In other words, call it what you want.
  • Treks are nice an all but its the equivalent of driving a Vauxhall or Ford.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • pride4ever wrote:
    Treks are nice an all but its the equivalent of driving a Vauxhall or Ford.

And what expert knowledge would give you the impression that your analogy is reasonable. 1 Treks are considered the top Brand by Pro's and Amateurs overall. They may not be preference for individuals but the brand itself is rated highly.

2. when you make a statement like that you cant say it against a brand unless your saying every bike ever made by Trek is of mid range including 6.2

3. if you can name every component and group set and say how you feel it's mid range level including the composition of the blended Carbon within the frame then maybe when your comments like that are made they will carry some weight behind them instead of having Zero weight behind them.

I have only ever ridden Trek so my opinions on them are based on my own knowledge not an expertsand for this reason I can only say on other models what I have read about or what components the bikes have that stands them in a particular ranking.

For instance I prefer Pinarello Frames over Treks and Scott to but for the all round experience I prefer Trek or I would own another brand.

:mrgreen:
  • gareth2134 wrote:
    pride4ever wrote:
    Treks are nice an all but its the equivalent of driving a Vauxhall or Ford.

And what expert knowledge would give you the impression that your analogy is reasonable. 1 Treks are considered the top Brand by Pro's and Amateurs overall. They may not be preference for individuals but the brand itself is rated highly.

2. when you make a statement like that you cant say it against a brand unless your saying every bike ever made by Trek is of mid range including 6.2

3. if you can name every component and group set and say how you feel it's mid range level including the composition of the blended Carbon within the frame then maybe when your comments like that are made they will carry some weight behind them instead of having Zero weight behind them.

I have only ever ridden Trek so my opinions on them are based on my own knowledge not an expertsand for this reason I can only say on other models what I have read about or what components the bikes have that stands them in a particular ranking.

For instance I prefer Pinarello Frames over Treks and Scott to but for the all round experience I prefer Trek or I would own another brand.

:mrgreen:

:lol: why get so defensive over a bike FFS?
  • imposter2.0
    gareth2134 wrote:
    1 Treks are considered the top Brand by Pro's and Amateurs overall.

says who ?
  • Imposter wrote:
    gareth2134 wrote:

says who ?

Lance Armstrong
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:
    gareth2134 wrote:

says who ?

Lance Armstrong

fair enough then - must be true ;)
  • Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    gareth2134 wrote:

says who ?

Lance Armstrong

Imposter defensive over un weighted comments not the bike read what I put instead of jumping in everyones threads being a keyboard hardman thats all I read from your comments with people is aggro.

Fabian Cancellara, for what you say About Lance Armstrong, he would do more with his sack than you can do with your nuts so go get some legs and win a race before you critic him. Also do you think hes the only dirty cyclist lmao please go back to your dream world.

And with your silly reply with "like who" regarding Trek being considered a Top Brand then if you can't even see that yourself you should go get into YOYO or Frisby.

LMAO tool
  • imposter2.0
    gareth2134 wrote:
    And with your silly reply with "like who" regarding Trek being considered a Top Brand then if you can't even see that yourself you should go get into YOYO or Frisby.

LMAO tool

Bit of an over-reaction. I was asking you for a source for that comment, that's all.
  • gareth2134 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    gareth2134 wrote:

says who ?

Lance Armstrong

Imposter defensive over un weighted comments not the bike read what I put instead of jumping in everyones threads being a keyboard hardman thats all I read from your comments with people is aggro.

Fabian Cancellara, for what you say About Lance Armstrong, he would do more with his sack than you can do with your nuts so go get some legs and win a race before you critic him. Also do you think hes the only dirty cyclist lmao please go back to your dream world.

LMAO tool

I'm confused. Who's criticizing Cancellara?
  • Imposter wrote:
    gareth2134 wrote:

LMAO tool

Bit of an over-reaction. I was asking you for a source for that comment, that's all.

Well I apologise for the over reaction but I didn't think it was news to your ears that Trek is considered as the top Brand in Bikes.

As I have put it in past threads my preference is for Scott Frames or Pinnarello but all round Trek suits me as I never have to change much on the bike.

I don't defend Trek but to say it's a Ford is someones opinion based on what knowledge I would like to know and thats what I replied to when the comment being made about Trek is the equivalent to a ford. This can not be true when all Brands have different spec bikes and models with components starting low end and high end so this can not be categorised.

Oh well maybe Treks a focus then or a Mini who knows will leave it to the experts. :wink:
  • gareth2134 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    gareth2134 wrote:

LMAO tool

Well I apologise for the over reaction but I didn't think it was news to your ears that Trek is considered as the top Brand in Bikes.

Newsflash for you: its not.
  • gareth2134 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    gareth2134 wrote:

LMAO tool

Newsflash for you: its not.

Go on then Genius put your source behind it then and show us all that Trek isn't a Top brand
  • You said "the" top brand. Not "a". Try to keep up