Lynskey vs Van Nicholas

wastegate86
wastegate86 Posts: 158
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Undecided on a couple cx bikes
Just wondering what peoples experiences are with both companies?

Van Nicholas

Lynskey

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I was expecting some commentary upon a landmark legal case.

Son, I am disappoint.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    Completely OT: My mate rather covets his Van Nicholas Ti framed bike and I don't blame him as it is rather nice. He did get a little upset in Germany last September when we did the Rad am Ring as he was convinced his bike was rather unique and we wouldn't see many over the weekend despite there being over 3,000 competitors riding round the course.

To his disgust my other mate and I then spent a good deal of time pointing out plenty of other Van Nicholas bikes rolling past our spot at the side of the track. We didn't see another Boardman all weekend :lol:, whether that is something to be proud of is another matter :?.

Back on topic........
    Boardman CX Team
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,641
    Van Nicholas are a rebranding of Airborne.

I own a Lynskey so I'm biased, but I bought it having had a similar train of thought to you. I remember Airborne as having a reputation for comfortable but flexy frames. I have no basis for thinking VN have inherited this reputation, but it would put me off, possibly for no good reason.

I see a few VN's around. Nice, but not quite as tidy as some Ti frames I've seen. I'm also not mad keen on their brushed finish - a little brighter than some. Also, VN don't do a disc frame yet (see road.cc article on Di2 hydrdaulic groupset).

Lynskey is a company founded by the guy who founded Litespeed. When I were't lad, Litespeeds were the frame to have. I used to cycle 5 miles out of my way to get spare tubes from a shop which stocked Sevens and Litespeeds, just to dribble. What I own (Cooper) is a well thought out frame. Soaks up buzz okay (s-bend seat stays and 27.2 seatpost) but feels stiffer at the cranks than steel bikes I've had and my 7003 alu framed road bike.

Overall though, I don't think you would go far wrong with either. I'll post a pic of my build if you want.