Air fork-first service

Murphybarnes
Murphybarnes Posts: 68
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Be gentle. Voodoo Hoodoo, bog standard. Suntour Raidon X1 forks. I would like to do all the servicing on the bike myself starting relatively soon with forks and their first service. By service, I mean, remove the lowers, clean and grease ( "red rubber", under the wiper seals .....thank you "the beginner"' from an earlier post and generally take things one step at a time. From posts and You Tube I believe it seems to be a case of removing damper knob, loosening the bolts, a gentle tap with a nylon hammer to release the press fit and Voila! Hmmm so far so good.
Points that concern me. If not concern, then interest me.

Do I need to disconnect the lock out?

Do I need to release the air first?

Will there be oil seepage? If so,how much and what quantity and type do I replace with?

Is removing the whole fork beforehand a better idea? (1/8 aheadset) FAQ says loosen pinch bolts etc, and it will drop in to my lap like a golden egg.

Thanks again.
Voodoo Hoodoo

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Release air first, no need to disconnect the lockout....

Not sure on the Raidons if you get oil seepage, the manual will tell you if you need oil, if you do, then some will leak out!

You can do it installed in the frame, but it's easier out.... remove top cap, loosen the pinch bolts and pull off the stem, sometimes you may need to tap the steerer down and then push it up to loosen the top centering cone.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sounds good. I am fielding questions on my impending wedding in my right ear and absorbing fork disassembly critique in my left. Or should that be eye. Anyway, I shall crack on, what is the worst that can happen.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    My Raidon was practically dry. Some black grease in air chamber so clean it properly. Just follow the video guide and you should have no problems. Inspect o-rings in air chamber. Make sure you don't catch dust seals when putting everything back.
  • The videos will not play on my i pad and generally most of the Suntour site will not load, hence asking here. I'll give it a go though.
    Voodoo Hoodoo
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    There is PDF manual and service guide (search for it) and some videos are on you tube. Google can be your friend in this case.