2001 Specialized Rockhopper BB Help

bernie1973
bernie1973 Posts: 86
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm renovating a 2001 Specialized Rockhopper and am struggling with the BB. The old (original) one was worn out so I removed it and took it to my LBS to get a replacement. They provided one - Shimano BB-UN26 - which is same 68mm shell and 113mm spindle widths. Only other info on new unit is a code BC1.37x24 but I don't know what this relates to. The original unit was model number BB-LP27. I thoroughly cleaned the BB shell with toothbrush and degreaser and dried it. I've followed the Park Tool instructions and have lined the thread with anti-seize and have been attempting to install the new unit but it just won't screw in past the first few turns. I could probably force it to turn if pushed with My full 95kg but don't want to knacker the frame. There's no visible damage to either male or female thread and I'm sure I've not cross threaded it by mistake. My question is whether there are multiple standard thread sizes very close to each other that I could have been sold by mistake. Clearly I can (and probably will) go back to LBS but I will have to push the bike as it has no cranks and want to know what questions to ask them when I get there. Any suggestions appreciated. Sorry such a long post but wanted to get all info across.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it should fit.

sounds like either you are not turning the correct way or you need to get the threads chased.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Definitely turning the correct way I.e. anti clock to tighten drive side so looks like push back to LBS to get threads chased in shell. Cheers, just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something daft before I pushed there.
  • mickyc
    mickyc Posts: 123
    I know its daft but have you definitely got the cups the correct way around
  • I did have the cups right way round, but worth checking. Problem solved at LBS this afternoon where a good chasing rendered the installation simple. Amazing how much material was removed by the chasing given that threads looked perfectly clean and in tact.