Avid Juicy 3 piston or pad not returning

ken_i
ken_i Posts: 17
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just noticed that the right side piston is not returning back into the caliper housing [front]. I have bled the system after pushing both pistons back into the caliper but the same problem comes back, although after a few pulls on the lever not quite as bad.

The left side pad always have much less wear than the right so is probably a problem that has been ongoing. I get the same wear pattern on the rear too.

Any ideas anyone

Comments

• aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    Sticky pistons on Avid brakes is a common problem and why I was glad to get my SLX brakes fitted instead.
    With the pads off, can you clean around the pistons a few times to make sure there isn't debris stuck?
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Take the pads out and squeeze the brake gently so the pistons move out - do NOT let them pop out! Drip some DOT fluid down onto the exposed piston and push it back in (don't use GT85, mineral oil etc as it'll wreck the seals). You may have to do it a few times to loosen it up.
  • Greer_
    Oh and bleeding the brakes will definitely not fix it! You only need to bleed brakes if air has got inside them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If they are cruddy, damp a clean cloth with DOT and wipe it round the pistons before pushing them back....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ken_i
    Thanks for the tips, going to try the DOT to the pistons. Did try before and piston nearly came right out -wasn't watching properly but managed to encourage it back in.

Might be good excuse to trade up to new set of Hopes -any suggestions anyone
  • If the DOT/clean technique doesn't fix it, it's time to think about new piston seals.

Last resort though.
  • Greer_
    ken_i wrote:

The new Shimanos! Same as aidso, the deores are brilliant, but get the SLX if you can afford it! All i've heard is bad things about the juicys!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    ken_i wrote:
    Bad idea, Shimano are better and cheaper.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ken_i
    can't really complain too hard about the Juicy's they been good for about 4.5 years. a mate had the XTR's but got rid after the rear failed while riding to work on road.

SLX look pretty good on reviews though
  • ken_i
    Tried cleaning the pistons with DOT fluid but the left side don't want to move as freely as the right.

Has anyone stripped a Juicy 3 caliper down? Are the seals readily available? only seen seals for 5 & 7 at Chain Reaction
  • http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avid-Caliper- ... 2ec2ed95c1

I haven't stripped a juicy but I imagine its like other Avids, a couple of big bolts holding the two halves together, two rubber seals around the pistons, rubber seal at the bleed port & one at the hose port.
  • Here's another good source of Avid spares:

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/13 ... spares.htm