Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

Gadgets on the fork??

supermurph09supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
I often see on users bikes some kind of gadget on the fork, what are these? I have a Garmin Edge 500 so all the sensors are on the rear wheel and crank, it is just a case of other models having their sensors mounted at the front?

Obvious question, just curious.

Posts

  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,498
    yup - mostly just a sensor that feeds the wheel rotation to the computer ...

    Anyone remember the fork mounted mechanical odometers?
  • gimplgimpl Posts: 269
    Sadly yes !!
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,498
    you're old too then! ;)
  • gimplgimpl Posts: 269
    Again - sadly yes !!
  • Peddle Up!Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Slowbike wrote:
    yup - mostly just a sensor that feeds the wheel rotation to the computer ...

    Anyone remember the fork mounted mechanical odometers?

    "Tick, tick, tick, tick...." :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    Just a plain old bike computer - to record revolutions of the wheel. Cheap and effective.
  • As per the pic really, some like Garmin are rear to inc the cadence sensor other brands make theirs for the front fork
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • I have a magnet that sends a signal to the wire all the way up to my Aldi bike computer.

    Well advanced me.
    Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

    http://www.pedalmash.co.uk/
  • Coach HCoach H Posts: 1,092
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    yup - mostly just a sensor that feeds the wheel rotation to the computer ...

    Anyone remember the fork mounted mechanical odometers?

    "Tick, tick, tick, tick...." :)

    Ahh, not mine, it had a wheel that ran on the tyre like a drum dynamo. Happy days :)
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • markp80markp80 Posts: 444
    Coach H wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    yup - mostly just a sensor that feeds the wheel rotation to the computer ...

    Anyone remember the fork mounted mechanical odometers?

    "Tick, tick, tick, tick...." :)

    Ahh, not mine, it had a wheel that ran on the tyre like a drum dynamo. Happy days :)
    My old Dawes used to have one of those, but no longer. It does, however, still have the bracket integrated into the fork leg, to which there's a rather natty chrome lamp holder attached!

    MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
Sign In or Register to comment.