Cateye Strada Wireless inaccuracy

gce
gce Posts: 7
edited March 2013 in Road general
I've had a Cateye Strada Wireless computer for about 4 months, recently it has started producing wildly inaccurate results. For example, my commute is approx 3.5 miles but I've been getting results of 2.8 and 2.1 in the last few days. It seems very erratic, yesterday the ride home gave a pretty accurate reading but it had been way out in the morning.

Has anyone got any ideas of what could be causing this? I haven't moved the position of anything and I've never had this problem until recently. I've tried re-setting it but still have the problem

Comments

• gce wrote:
    I've had a Cateye Strada Wireless computer for about 4 months, recently it has started producing wildly inaccurate results. For example, my commute is approx 3.5 miles but I've been getting results of 2.8 and 2.1 in the last few days. It seems very erratic, yesterday the ride home gave a pretty accurate reading but it had been way out in the morning.

Has anyone got any ideas of what could be causing this? I haven't moved the position of anything and I've never had this problem until recently. I've tried re-setting it but still have the problem

Replace the battery and try again. I've had devices give out wild readings when the battery is on the way out.

Let us know how you get on :)
  • gce
    Replace the battery and try again. I've had devices give out wild readings when the battery is on the way out

OK, thanks. Which battery do you reckon it is likely to be, or should I replace both?
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I'd replace both and check the alignment of the sensor too
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    might be worth checking you havent knocked the magnet or sensor slightly out of line so its not picking up all the wheel rotations?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    might be worth checking you havent knocked the magnet or sensor slightly out of line so its not picking up all the wheel rotations?

A very good point.

Does the Strada use cr2032 batteries?
    We've had a few bad cr2032 batteries at work.
  • gce
    Does the Strada use cr2032 batteries?

Yes it does.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm fairly sure it's all still aligned ok but I'll check, and I'll replace the batteries. If it is the batteries it doesn't seem as if I've had very good use out of them for them to have run out already, but I suppose winter use isn't so good.
  • chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    It does sound like the batteries, something similar happened to mine a few years ago, replaced batts and hey presto !

Steve
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Change the batteries give magnet and sensor a good clean also check the wheel dimension code you have to put in .mine dropped this when changed the batteries also write down the odometer if you like to keep track of things it's quite annoying when I forgot to do so
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • gce
    Thanks everyone. I've replaced the batteries and checked the alignment. Just went out for a very short spin and everything seems back to normal.
  • gce
    Looks like I spoke too soon. On my first commute since changing batteries today it was way off again, and was also on the way home (last time it had been off in the morning but accurate on the way home).

I'm just wondering about temperature, is there any way this can affect it, it would have been around zero today?
  • Further to the other question does anyone have any tricks to keep the cadence sensor working reliably? I find mine will stop working every other ride due to magnet and sensor ending up unaligned. Means a stop and fidget which isn't exactly a hardship but is a bit of a pain. Applying adhesive seems like it could be an option but pretty hesitant to do that.
  • gce
    gce wrote:
    Looks like I spoke too soon. On my first commute since changing batteries today it was way off again, and was also on the way home (last time it had been off in the morning but accurate on the way home).

I'm just wondering about temperature, is there any way this can affect it, it would have been around zero today?

Well I've been checking this over the last week and I think that temperature is affecting it. When the temperatures started going back up the distances recorded on my morning commute went up as well but not yet back to the true value, and the distances in the evening (when it was slightly warmer) were bang on. And this was having put the old batteries back in.