Vets on standard

ju5t1n
ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
edited February 2013 in Amateur race
I've entered an early season Hardriders time trail on the 3rd March (K4/23 course – so 23 miles) and there are prizes for the first three Vets on standard.

What does “on standard” mean?

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Perhaps it means a standard road bike, rather than a time trial bike?
  • ju5t1n
    I think it’s a handicap system of some sort, I just wondered how it works
  • ju5t1n
    I found this on the CTT website which I think answers my question, I guess I just need to know the Standard Times for this event:

It is always a source of amazement to non-aficionados that elderly people also take part in Time Trials. However, in order to make it possible for the occasional septuagenarian to win an event the VTTA devised a system known as the "Standards". This is only for those 40 years old and more and consists of a table of allowable times at each age for all the standard distances competed at. For example, at 25 miles a 40 year old rider has a standard of 1 hour 6 minutes while a 70 year old has 1 hour 22 minutes 30 seconds to aim at. To work out the result of an event each rider's time is compared to his Standard and the difference (±) is credited. The winner is the rider with the most plus. So if our example 40 year old returned a time of 59 minutes 30 seconds he would have a plus of 6 minutes 30 seconds but if the 70 year old finished in 1 hour 15 minutes 55 seconds (giving him a +6 minutes 35 seconds) he (the 70 year old) would win on Standard.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Standards have been updated for 2013

http://www.vtta.org.uk/information/standardstables.php
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    ju5t1n wrote:
    I found this on the CTT website which I think answers my question, I guess I just need to know the Standard Times for this event:

I wouldn't worry about what the standard times are, just go as hard as you can and see what happens. I haven't got a clue what the standards are for each distance, and I can usually end up winning the VOAS.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    danowat wrote:
    Standards have been updated for 2013

http://www.vtta.org.uk/information/standardstables.php

Ooooh..I see they've gone all funky and hi tech with push buttons and calculators and such :shock:
    Nice to see I can go 4 seconds slower on a 10 this year...if only :D
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits