Buy new via cycle2work vs. secondhand?

Dean909
Dean909 Posts: 6
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks,

I've checked through the FAQ's and had a search through the forum to see if my question has already been answered, but I couldn't find anything so here goes...

I'm torn between two choices;

1) Buy a new mountain bike via one of the cycle to work schemes and save some tax

2) Buy a second hand bike, probably with a much better spec, from an auction site. I'm an engineer, so the idea of buying a frame and components doesn't put me off either

A lot of my friends already own mountain bikes, and I'm quite envious when they all tear off to Cwmcarn and have a blast! I'm overweight, so I'm hoping that it'll be good exercise for me and a win/ win situation all round. I'm aware that ultimately I'll visit a bike shop and try a few out, but I would greatly appreciate the opinions of guys and gals that already own, or have had experience creating a shortlist of bikes to consider.
Essentially I'll use the bike to get me to and from work on weekdays and cross country/ trail riding (Cwmcarn and other such venues) on weekends.

I've done a bit of research, and from what I can gather my best bang for buck around £1000 would be something like a Giant Trance X4. Magazines seem to like it and I haven't seen many bad reviews?

I've also browsed auction sites, and it would appear I'll get a lot more 'bang for my buck'. I've seen Trek Fuel EX7's go within my budget, as well as Giant Trance X3's and Specialized Stumpjumper FSR's. As I said earlier, I have no problem buying components and building them around a frame as a potential third option, but I would be buying second hand components as new is waaaay outside my budget.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly received as well as any recommendations for bikes I should be considering.

Thanks in advance,

Dean.

Comments

• second hand will always get you more for your money, if you have the cash available then that would be my choice.

Building your own can be more expensive than a complete bike but you will get the spec you want, manufacturers usually compromise somewhere be it wheels, forks, groupset or all 3.

For new under £1000 the best for the money is usually the boardman range or decathlon rockrider but it would depend if your cycle to work scheme covers Halfords or Decathlon.
  • I was i your boat not so long ago second hand bike or cycle to work scheme ? i opted for the later and purchased a brand new Cannondale SL1 for £699 although ive heard the odd bad thing about the bike i have found it to be a more than capable xc bike which is right at home on Derbyshires xc trails or Grenoside woods in Sheffield great fun for 10 quid a week out of my pay ;-) id say save your cash get a bike on btws and use saved cash for a cycling holiday.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Be sure you know what buying through a C2W scheme will cost - what happens at the end of the years lease for example, also I suspect we may see a clamp down on the 'extended lease' options as I striongly believe they are a taxable benfit in kind.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The current upper limit is £1,000, this may go up in future. The max you can save is 42%, but it depends on what you earn. £40,000 = 32%, £45,000 = 42% Chances are you can get a new 2012 model saving up to 30% at most bike shops. If you have the cash. Problem with second hand is you may not be able to find exactly what you want.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Thanks for the advice guys... I'll look at the cycle2work scheme in more depth, and keep saving in the mean time - Maybe the right bike will appear at the right price on an auction site :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The current upper limit is £1,000
    No it's not, there is no limit, but it's the limit for company's without a consumer credit licence.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dean909 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice guys... I'll look at the cycle2work scheme in more depth, and keep saving in the mean time - Maybe the right bike will appear at the right price on an auction site :)

always worth keeping an eye on the classifieds too