Which bike £500-£750?

chrisrs2292
chrisrs2292 Posts: 8
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I'm looking to get into mtb riding after a few years out from bmx'ing and would appreciate feedback on a hardtail for £500-£750

The bikes I've been looking at are:

Merlin Malt 3
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/b ... -bike.html

VooDoo Bokor
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

Carrera Fury
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

Any thoughts on these three would be appreciated, but feel free to recommend others :)

Chris

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All excellent bikes: the Bokor is suited to harder riding, the Malt is rather racier, while the Fury sits somewhere in the middle.

What will your riding entail?
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • I will mostly be riding roads and light trails I think, not planning anything particularly hard at this stage anyway, I haven't rode a bike at all for a good few years :) Hopefully I'll get to some proper trails at some point.

Thanks for the other recommendations as well, more options to consider :)
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    I love my Zesty514, but gotta say the Fury 2012 still very good bike and used it 1st time and ages and you forget how good it is :lol:
  • Well the Merlin is out of stock, and with it being in the end of season sale not sure if it will be back (or as cheap) so I think it is really between the VooDoo Bokor, Carrera Fury, the Pinnacle Jarah 5 (thanks Chez) and also the Kona Fire Mountain - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kon ... 8#features

I've read good things about the Fury but haven't really seen much about the other 3, so which would you choose? :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would go for that Cube from Pauls Cycles. Looks like very good value.
  • My only concern with the Cube really is frame size, nobody stocks them locally so it will end off being a bit of a guestimate =/ I am by no means a giant at 5'8" but i'd imagine it would be the 18" or 20" frame, just not sure which =/
  • Have a look at the Boardman Comp HT in Halfords for £650. Its what I started on, light excellent spec and handles trails with ease.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • My only concern with the Cube really is frame size, nobody stocks them locally so it will end off being a bit of a guestimate =/ I am by no means a giant at 5'8" but i'd imagine it would be the 18" or 20" frame, just not sure which =/

Well it definitely won't be 20 and 18 may well be too big for you too. If you are that unfamiliar with sizing I'd strongly recommend buying from a shop. Remember mountain bike fit tends to be a lot smaller than you may think, to give more manoeuvreability on the bike
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm 5'10" and ride a 16"....

Look at it logically, 5'8" is below average height so why would you want a medium or large? 16" sounds right.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeah that number came from a different company :roll: looking at the Cube sizes you're totally right at 16" based off my height

It's between the Cube for £750 and the Boardman for £580 (get some discount at Halfords through work) so really it comes down to do you think the Cube is £170 better than the Boardman?
  • Yes I think it is in terms of spec. The only thing is the Boardman has 120mm of travel, so it a little more 'trail' than xc oriented, which appeals to me. But bang for buck wise the Cube looks great.

You could look at the Boardman Team, which with your discount would prob be in budget. The Cube is still the better spec though.
  • chez_m356
    is this a cyclescheme purchase ? if yes, then you may have a problem with the cube
      DUE TO EXTREMELY LIMITED STOCK WE ARE UNABLE TO OFFER CYCLESCHEME PURCHASE ON THIS BIKE IN THE 16, 18 OR 20" SIZES
    • Nah it's not a cycle scheme, I just get a 10% discount from Halfords through work

In regards to the Boardman Team you're right, I could actually get it for the same price as the Cube after postage is taken into account.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Cube though, even with 100mm travel I'm sure it will manage what I will use it for, and the hardest trail I can see myself doing in the near future is Hamsterley Red
    • chez_m356
      Nah it's not a cycle scheme, I just get a 10% discount from Halfords through work

In regards to the Boardman Team you're right, I could actually get it for the same price as the Cube after postage is taken into account.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Cube though, even with 100mm travel I'm sure it will manage what I will use it for, and the hardest trail I can see myself doing in the near future is Hamsterley Red
      it was the cube from paulscycles i was referring to
        DUE TO EXTREMELY LIMITED STOCK WE ARE UNABLE TO OFFER CYCLESCHEME PURCHASE ON THIS BIKE IN THE 16, 18 OR 20" SIZES
      • Yeah I just assumed you thought the Halfords discount was for cyclescheme and was gonna do the same for the Cube :)