Worcester Park to Westminster?

Merlydog
Merlydog Posts: 58
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Anyone do it.. I'm an average cyclist recently moved to the area and am thinking about commuting some days on my road bike. I wondered if anyone does the commute daily, do you use the A3 or back roads, how long does it take etc? Thanks folks..

Comments

• mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Hi mate and welcome to the forum.

I ride from Ewell to Canary Wharf. I follow the London Road up to Morden and then follow the Northern Line up to Elephant & Castle. It's quick and efficient and there are hundreds of other riders along there. You probably wanna branch off to the left somewhere near Stockwell but that should get you most of the way.

Take about an hour to 75 minutes depending on your level of fitness.
    FCN = 4
  • MTB-Idle wrote:
    Hi mate and welcome to the forum.

I ride from Ewell to Canary Wharf. I follow the London Road up to Morden and then follow the Northern Line up to Elephant & Castle. It's quick and efficient and there are hundreds of other riders along there. You probably wanna branch off to the left somewhere near Stockwell but that should get you most of the way.

Take about an hour to 75 minutes depending on your level of fitness.

Hi and thank you for the swift reply, I'll most likely be closer to the 75 mins at the moment! I've a shiny giant defy 2 road bike that I intend not to use as my commuter long term. The journey from ewell to stockwell, how is it for hills, the less gears the better I feel but too far for a fixie!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,661
    Welcome. I'd steer clear of the A3, at least at your end. As MTB-Idle says, follow the A24 up to Clapham where it merges with the A3, and on past Oval. Bear left up Kennington Road (A23) to Lambeth North, then bear left again, towards Westminster Bridge. You can also branch off at Stockwell, but this takes you to Vauxhall gyratory, which might be a bit daunting for a newcomer.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Welcome. I'd steer clear of the A3, at least at your end. As MTB-Idle says, follow the A24 up to Clapham where it merges with the A3, and on past Oval. Bear left up Kennington Road (A23) to Lambeth North, then bear left again, towards Westminster Bridge. You can also branch off at Stockwell, but this takes you to Vauxhall gyratory, which might be a bit daunting for a newcomer.

That's perfect Terry thank you, any advice on commuter bikes? I'd like to stick with the road style and quite fancy something vintage so I can have a tinker with it!
  • Another 'hi' from a CS7 regular. My commute is from Epsom to Grays Inn which I do 3 times a week. A24 all the way for me, through Morden, up to Colliers Wood, then the CS7 to Clapham Common where I personally branch off through Clapham Old Town, Wandsworth Rd to Vauxhall Cross, then along to Waterloo Bridge where I cross the Thames. While the A24 is a 'main' road, it does have a cycle lane along most parts, and because it is busy, it 'flows' well. Personally I've never had a problem using that route. On the rare occasions I do drive, I use the A3 and am always amazed (i.e. shocked) when I see cyclists going through the underpass at Wimbledon! They're braver than me!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,661
    Merlydog wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

That's perfect Terry thank you, any advice on commuter bikes? I'd like to stick with the road style and quite fancy something vintage so I can have a tinker with it!

You're welcome. As for bikes, it sounds like you're already heading for an old steel 10sp road bike - eBay and the classifieds await.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Hi

Worcester Park to docklands for me.

You have three main choices.

Cs7, Garret lane to Wandsworth or through New Malden, Richmond park, Putney and embankment (the long but pretty way). There are of course multiple variations to play with. But stay off the a3 if nothing else it's soul destroying.

I'd be happy to meet up and ride in or back with you a few times and show you some different routes. Pm me if you want.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • I don't come in from the SW but depending on the route you take, Lambeth Bridge is a nice way of getting into Westminster. I ride past the Imperial War Museum and over the bridge, having the option of Millbank to Parliament Square or (as I do), Horseferry Road towards Victoria Street (depending on where you work).

I find that a bit quieter than Westminster Bridge.

The only downside is that due to one-way systems, etc, I do find it easier to go back over Westminster Bridge on the return journey.
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I moved near Wimbledon Chase last year so pretty much what Sketchley said (through Earlsfield->Wandsworth->take your choice of bridges. Once you get over the river it is a crap shoot everywhere is congested).

At the start of the journey I have grown to detest Kingston Road as it can be quite narrow and congested and the standard of driving is fairly consistently crap... Also if you carry on you get to Colliers Wood which is probably one of the ugliest places in the whole of London and also narrow and congested.

You can skip the whole lot by going through Raynes Park and Wimbledon. From there I tend to go down Queen's Road/ Plough Lane to Garratt Lane. You also get traffic at Plough Lane but the road is wide so its not as stressful. There are also less lights that way and as you get fitter you'll find yourself getting more annoyed having to stop and you won't need the rest.

Other options if you feel like it are to go up to Wimbledon Common then through the Village and take Church Road past the AELTC to Southfields. Again not many lights and the descent is fun assuming no metal boxes get in the way. I tend to avoid Putney because of congestion/lights.
  • Some awesome info here guys thank you very much! I'd like very much to take the offer up of a chaperone for my first few rides, makes all the difference being two of you. You may however need to leave time for my lack of fitness at the moment! Ha! I'll be in touch and thanks to all :)