Headset Question

Chris1969
Chris1969 Posts: 18
edited February 2013 in MTB beginners
Hope someone can help with this, there is a lot of knowledge around so I'm sure you can :)

Currently on my bike there is a Cane Creek semi integrated headset (I believe that's what they are called) similar to this one:
!BzZZ6yw!Wk~$(KGrHqR,!i!Ew5Gng6BZBMV2HOkoHw~~_35.JPG

Now, I'm not that keen on it, for a start I don't like the bit that has "cane creek" written at the front on the picture....not because it says "Cane Creek" but it just looks like a big thick ugly piece of plastic. I'd rather have some nice spacers to bulk it up or something like that. So I wanted to fit a new headset that's a lot sleeker & prettier. I've had a look at some but to be honest I have no idea what I'm really looking at & whether it will even go on my bike.

I currently have one of these: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/mean-streak-20-2010-hybrid-bike-ec021939 The forks are going and being replaced with something bouncy and it would be nice to finish it off with a nice sleek looking headset. There is a slightly bigger pic of the bike here: http://www.chelseabikes.co.uk/images/uploads/BIKES%20USED/DSC04359.JPG

Can anyone point me in the direction of what I can do here before I start spending on something unsuitable.

Many thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    buy ant suitable ZS headset of the correct size and the get he bike shop to take out the old cups and fit the new cups and headset.

or you might find that you can just use the top cover from the new headset and some headset spacers.

or just ask your LBS if they have any bits that might do the job.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The zero stack is what I was after, so that all sounds feasible. I probably sound like a complete muppet, you wouldn't think that I can repair anything on a motorbike....but when it comes to bikes (with pedals) they just baffle me at times :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a low stack top cover (the bit you don't like not the very top cap) in silver, it's cane creek but just has a tiny etched (barely visible) lizard logo on it....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I like lizards. I've had one on my dashboard for as long as I can remember. Not a real one obviously, a stuffed one, called Lizzie.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools