Shameless Pride

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
A lot of you will know that my son was off school for 18 months whilst he was treated for cancer. He's been back for less than a year and he's just done his Standard Grade prelims (GCSE mocks in England & Wales) and has got his marks back

English 90%
Maths 96%
History 96%
Biology 72%
Geography 84%
Physics 95%
Chemistry 90%

Seemingly 7 A grades. He taught himself biology in the last few months when he realised Art wasn't going as well as he'd hoped it would. His determination is just frightening. Very proud of him. He rode his bike for the first time on the road on Sunday too. He can ride it fine just struggles to get on and off. Great to see.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Nice to see a genuinely good news post.

No need for shame or modesty there! :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Excellent stuff.
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    A lot of you will know that my son was off school for 18 months whilst he was treated for cancer. He's been back for less than a year and he's just done his Standard Grade prelims (GCSE mocks in England & Wales) and has got his marks back

English 90%
    Maths 96%
    History 96%
    Biology 72%
    Geography 84%
    Physics 95%
    Chemistry 90%

Seemingly 7 A grades. He taught himself biology in the last few months when he realised Art wasn't going as well as he'd hoped it would. His determination is just frightening. Very proud of him. He rode his bike for the first time on the road on Sunday too. He can ride it fine just struggles to get on and off. Great to see.

nice one Junior MRS.

however Senior MRS clearly needs to have a birds and bees chat.. :wink:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Not bad. I'm assuming they're all Credits ;-)

Seriously, well done him, and you too I have no doubt.
  • rubertoe wrote:

English 90%
    Maths 96%
    History 96%
    Biology 72%
    Geography 84%
    Physics 95%
    Chemistry 90%

nice one Junior MRS.

He already did, hence the dropped marks.

Well done MRS Jr.
  • Well done MRS jnr.

The best WBW jnr ever achieved was 50%. When I say 50% I mean the teacher once called him a halfwit.....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    rubertoe wrote:

English 90%
    Maths 96%
    History 96%
    Biology 72%
    Geography 84%
    Physics 95%
    Chemistry 90%

nice one Junior MRS.

He already did, hence the dropped marks.

Well done MRS Jr.

Didnt we all? *giggle giggle*

Like I said well done MRS Jr. Life may have some set backs but its how you apply yourself and come out the other side that makes people, MRS has to take some credit for this as well.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • A lot of you will know that my son was off school for 18 months whilst he was treated for cancer. He's been back for less than a year and he's just done his Standard Grade prelims (GCSE mocks in England & Wales) and has got his marks back

English 90%
    Maths 96%
    History 96%
    Biology 72%
    Geography 84%
    Physics 95%
    Chemistry 90%

Nice one, he's obviously got grit and determination as well as intellect.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Great stuff! Good man!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • bompington wrote:

I think biology and English were Intermediate 2 (but I don't pretend to understand the Scottish system :? ). He started teaching himself biology in November.

Thanks everybody. It's difficult to explain how good it is to see him doing so well from the depths of his treatment a couple of years ago.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Whoop
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    bompington wrote:

I think biology and English were Intermediate 2 (but I don't pretend to understand the Scottish system :? ). He started teaching himself biology in November.

Thanks everybody. It's difficult to explain how good it is to see him doing so well from the depths of his treatment a couple of years ago.
    Int 2 is basically the same level as Credit SG, but don't waste too much time trying to understand it because it's all changing now anyway.
    Besides, the truth that a) he's had to climb up so far, and b) he's doing it on his own motivation, mean far more than exams or certificates - these things indicate qualities that will serve him long after he's forgotten what he got in his standard grades.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Jolly well done, MRS Jr
    [...] He started teaching himself biology in November.
    This is especially awesome - with this determination, it's top University time in the not-too-distant future.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    That's awesome. There's no better feeling than being a proud parent.

Even more impressive with the time off that he's had.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • That's great, after everything else, what an excellent result.

{The T C T shirt is still my favourite :) }
    'fool'
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,626
    That's pretty cool, actually. Bodes well for later education, if he's learnt how to learn.

And he's cycling. Seeing you in lycra not put him off yet?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :)

No better feeling than being a proud parent.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Thanks everyone
    DrLex wrote:
    Jolly well done, MRS Jr
    [...] He started teaching himself biology in November.
    This is especially awesome - with this determination, it's top University time in the not-too-distant future.

I think he's aiming at Cambridge or St Andrews. He's always been a sharp kid but his determination is what is now awesome. He used to be a good footballer and good at tennis too but he can't play either now. The chemo has left him relatively small (25th percentile) so cycling will be good for him - especially as the damage to his leg movement isn't apparent. In the meantime, I'd better start saving for university fees in case he ends up in England. His sister did brilliantly through all of this too - 5As at Higher and is going to Glasgow Uni.
  • Congratulations - it's really great to hear that after the struggles that you have had to face, that he and his sister are doing well.

I have a close family friend whose son was recently diagnosed with Hodgkins over Christmas and is now just finishing his first round of chemo. They are doing as best they can to stay positive and keep things normal for his sister. It's reassuring to hear that there can be good news at the other end!
  • Chapeau!
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Missed this - thought it was going to be something to do with Assos pants or something. But it's not, it's really very good news. Sounds like a real family effort. Chapeau indeed!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Chapeau!

Plus one! Excellent news!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    For GCSEs over 90% is roughly A* isn't it?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    What everyone else said: well done MRS jr(s).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition