What do you like in your porridge?

2»

Comments

• dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Been using team sky's recipe of late
    Porridge made with rice milk,then adding some cinnamon,ground ginger, 2 spoons of milled flaxseed/sesame seeds/goji berries,mashed banana and then I add a little maple syrup.
    Just make sure the loo is free soon after finishing.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    dave35 wrote:
    Been using team sky's recipe of late
    Porridge made with rice milk,then adding some cinnamon,ground ginger, 2 spoons of milled flaxseed/sesame seeds/goji berries,mashed banana and then I add a little maple syrup.
    Just make sure the loo is free soon after finishing.

If you're going to that much trouble you might as well have a full English :wink:
  • Porridge oats, skimmed milk and a spoonful of Nutella.
    2010 Bianchi Infinito Ultegra
    2008 Specialized Allez Elite
    2008 Merlin Malt 4
  • Stanley222 wrote:
    Porridge oats, skimmed milk and a spoonful of Nutella.

I'll give that a whirl in the morning!

It certainly helped on the ride this morning!!
    2010 Bianchi Infinito Ultegra
    2008 Specialized Allez Elite
    2008 Merlin Malt 4
  • MrCrick
    MrCrick Posts: 4
    Peanut butter does work at a pinch. Does increase the goop-factor a bit, so increasing the milk volume helps.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Porridge & Irn Bru then Toast and Butter and more Irn Bru 8)
  • 1/3 orange juice 2/3 milk/water , rind of orange, cinnamon, ginger top off off with strawberries. Scrum
    2 Wheels or not 2 wheels..That is not in question.
  • fevmeister
    fevmeister Posts: 353
    Blueberries, jam, strawberries, apple and golden syrup...... All good!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    mrs T's thumb as she passes me my porridge whilst still in bed, spoilt or wot? :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Pre-proper event (ride, sportiv, blast over the Pennines etc) I go for real porridge oats - not the marketed crap stuff like Oh So Ripoff - with a couple of Weetabix underneath, a load of milk on top and a bit of sugar thrown at it. All cold & uncooked. Cold uncooked porridge is a dream to eat, the Weetabix adds a bit of filling and it does all of its expansion & slow energy release in the stomach at a better pace than it does without Weetabix and if it's been blasted with a minute or two of microwave energy.

Any porridge that isn't the 4p for 20kg of unbranded supermarket finest is wasteful and inefficient. Paying way over the odds extra for it to be supplied in way-too-small sachets with added E numbers & crap is the mark of a mad-man. IMHO.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I agree porridge doesn't need marketing.

Hopefully when you say that Weetabix is a 'slow release energy' you realise you are repeating what their marketing people say about the product and is not actually true.

As a diabetic I can measure the slowness of food with a BG meter and can assure you that weetabix is really fast release energy. 3 weetabix would put me in hospital within 20 minutes!

What they have now been told to say is that as long as you eat it with milk with fat in then the GI will be lowered by the combination of fat.

So the oats in your breakfast are the slow release and the weetabix is your instant fast energy, overall a good non diabetic cycling mix.

Don't believe the hype :D

article...
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media ... 98079.html
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Good spot, but I tried to make the sentence emphasise the slow release of the porridge, with Weetabix adding other benefits & qualities. Maybe posting at 1 in the morning lost it a bit of its sense.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Why orange juice?

Ours is water/milk on either oats or oatmeal with added raisins and prunes and some oatbran. I leave the oats to soak overnight.
    M.Rushton