A couple of photos

capt_slog
capt_slog Posts: 3,946
edited February 2013 in The cake stop
Have a look at these two photos. I want to know if you think any of the people in the first photo, are in the second larger group.

Please, DON'T SAY WHERE THEY ARE if you think you spot them, just a yes or a no for now please because I want it as unbiased as possible. (kiss of death on that idea? :roll: :lol: )

_Scan10001-1.jpg

dap020.jpg

I'll explain later when/if I get a few replies.

The older I get, the better I was.

Comments

• I think I can see all 3.
    tick - tick - tick
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    metronome wrote:
    I think I can see all 3.
    same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I can see one that i'm pretty sure is in both photos. Only one though. They all look pretty similiar in flat caps!
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    One , maybe two - but as Pesky says, they do look very similar.
  • I think I can see all three, but wouldn't put money on it.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Does this version help at all?

dap020v2_zps20b69132.jpg

and your original

_Scan10001-1.jpg
  • capt_slog
    Thanks Giantmike, I should have cleaned it first.

OK, here's the back story.

The group of three is a family photo, it shows my granddad in the centre, his brother to the left and my great-grandfather. I never saw my granddad, he was killed down a mine when my dad was just seven.

The larger photo was shown to me by a work colleague years ago because he knew I liked old photographs like that. I took a copy of it and wasn't until a few years later, that I saw the 'family group' photo and realised that I might have seen the faces before. The larger pit-head photo is believed to come from the right area and looks around the right time.

I think granddad is five in from the left on the second row, arms folded with waist-coat and no jacket. I also think the chap sitting slightly above to his left is his brother.
    Viewing with "an eye of faith", I could also make either of the chaps to their sides be my great-granddad, but their ages don't seem consistent.

Thanks to those who responded, I'll be interested to know which ones you saw.

• upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I dont see any of them im afraid.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    They all look the same to me.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i thought the guy you are referring to your grandfather was your grandfather's brother.
  • My guess was on these three. So if they were labeled 1,2,3 on the top photo, on the lower they would be 2,1,3

dap020v2zps20b69132.jpg

Hard to say. Sure the gene pool was smaller back then :lol:
    tick - tick - tick
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    coriordan wrote:
    i thought the guy you are referring to your grandfather was your grandfather's brother.
    That's how I saw it - didn't spot the others. But the brothers could easily be confused in different pictures I suspect.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • capt_slog
    metronome wrote:
    My guess was on these three. So if they were labeled 1,2,3 on the top photo, on the lower they would be 2,1,3

dap020v2zps20b69132.jpg

As you saw, that was my take on it too, but never very certain on No3

Despite what others have said about the order of the two brothers, it's interesting that they manage to find the same two.

If you look carefully at the chap who I identify as great-uncle in the large group, you can see that he has the same nose and fringe as No1 in the family group, also the same rounded face.

The other chap (granddad) has the same high cheek bones and thinner face.

Thanks for the replies, obviously I will never know for sure, but it's these coincidences are oddly pleasing.

BTW
    If you think you have it hard at work, spare a thought for those poor buggers.

Granddad was powder man, he was responsible for setting the blasting charges for his team of workers. He had to buy his black powder from the company stores out of his wages and he bought it home with him, where it used to sit on top of the range to keep it dry.
    The team were paid on the amount of coal they brought out which means that they often took the risk of working without supporting the roof properly. If the shift before them did the same thing, they could often work most of their own shift propping the roof but mining no coal and so didn't get paid. This system was eventually the man's downfall, he was crushed in a collapse and they had to move seven tons of coal off him to get him out.
    My dad was on his way home from school when a kid stopped him in the street to say "Your dad's been killed down the pit". He replied "that can't be right, that wouldn't happen to my dad", but when he got home the house was full of people and his mum was crying so he knew it was true.

Hard times.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    They all look the same to me.

Racist!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Not sure about who is who in the pictures, but this gets my vote for thread of the year so far.

Wonderful evocative pictures and background story - thanks Capt Slog!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Great photos. Have similar collection that belonged to my own grandfather of him and his colleagues, this time working the slate quarries in North Wales. Brutally hard work in return for a pittance.