Beginner Routes in Leeds/W.Yorkshire

ianwilliams
ianwilliams Posts: 257
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Ola,

I'm pretty new to cycling after having loads of injuries running. I have a hybrid.

I have a turbo which I've been using to get some fitness up. I enjoy it but I need to get out on the roads and actually cycle properly. However, I live slap bang in Leeds city and I'm not comfortable with cycling in busy traffic.

Would you recommend any routes round here that I can dodge the busy traffic down Wellington Street/Kirkstall Road? Or just hop on the train out to another town? I would do the canal but the towpath is now closed!

Cheers

Comments

• Hmm the canal would have been my first choice. How much of it is actually closed?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Get a copy of the (free) Leeds cycle route map - it gives locations of all the cycle paths and lanes. One irrc goes up Meanwood valley and is more segretated than most here.

Kirstall road isn't so bad with the cycle lane and bus lane but there's always Burley Road as an alternative. Depends where you want to go! As for the train- you can go out beyond Bramhope on the Harrogate line and there are some nice roads around there. Only trouble is that the quiet roads tend to be the hillier ones!

You might want to try The Leeds Meetup cycle group. Nice folk who do soft rides at the weekend and Friday lunchtimes from Roundhay. http://www.meetup.com/Leeds-Cycling-Group/
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Hi, if you take a look at gmap-pedometer.com or mapmyride you can plot a route out on those. It shows you the elevation as well. If there are any roads I'm not certain of I just go to the street view on google and take a little look to ensure I'm not going to be facing too much danger. I appreciate some of the street views can be older but this approach has not failed me yet. It also gives you a heads up on what you will be facing!!!
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    I wasn't aware of the tow path closure - where is that exactly.

From where you are (I've a mate nearby) the canal up to Saltaire and back is a nice gentle ride. And there is a cafe at the Saltaire end.

For variety the canal the other way is ok too. You can go down to around Rothwell (or much further) and back

This http://app.strava.com/activities/37980794 is what I call my "Leeds Urban Loop" there are a few roads but it's mostly tow paths or good tracks. I do it on my mountain bike, but a hybrid would be fine.

Hope that helps
  • Thanks guys.

I run quite often along Kirkstall Road, so you're right Rolf, the bus lane is always used by bikes. I will check out that group - looks good - once I've done a few more runs on my own.

I was out in Saltaire at the weekend, Phil - good idea.

I work by the canal so I'll check how much is closed. I know one end of the closure is by Whitehall, Leeds. Not sure where the other end is though - by Leeds station or further towards Armley. I'll check tonight and post back.
  • A nice ride is from Leeds city centre up York Road to Crossgates then onto Aberford and Lotherton Hall and then back again.You can do this on some Bridleways which go over the Garforth Golf Club Land, and the Parlington Estate or you can do it on the Road.That must be 20 odd miles or so and theres nothing really hard on it.
    Also you could ride to Otley or Ikley etc.Ride to the Lawnswood roundabout and then over it and keep going.
    Also theres the Meanwood Valley Trail, which starts in Headingley.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    A short train ride would have you in Skipton or Ilkley (or even Keighley if you are feeling daring), which are good places to start from if you are looking for pretty and relatively quiet roads. You aren't going to do much cycling if every ride has to start with a train journey but it's worth thinking about for weekend/holiday rides when you have a bit more time and don't want to spend the first 15-20 miles battling with the traffic.
  • Checked this morning and the canal path is closed for one mile, from Viaduct Road (by Armley Mill, I think) to Whitehall in Leeds. Should be closed til Marchtime.
  • rolf_f
    Kirkstall road has cycle lane and bus lane all along that length. It's not that bad! And, you can avoid almost half of that by turning off after Woodrups to head for the Marina and the service road for the substation which gets you to the end of the closed bit.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Checked this morning and the canal path is closed for one mile, from Viaduct Road (by Armley Mill, I think) to Whitehall in Leeds. Should be closed til Marchtime.

Cool - if it's only closed for a mile then you should still be able to do any of the tow path routes and just divert onto the road for that mile.
  • Cheers guys.
    Rolf F wrote:
    Kirkstall road has cycle lane and bus lane all along that length. It's not that bad! And, you can avoid almost half of that by turning off after Woodrups to head for the Marina and the service road for the substation which gets you to the end of the closed bit.

Yeah - that's my plan. I should be happy with Kirstall Road bus lane - though I was planning to turn off before the Shell garage/viaduct, go up that road then turn onto the towpath from there.
  • rolf_f
    Cheers guys.
    Rolf F wrote:

Yeah - that's my plan. I should be happy with Kirstall Road bus lane - though I was planning to turn off before the Shell garage/viaduct, go up that road then turn onto the towpath from there.

I cycle up Canal Road on my commute home and I can't say I've noticed any obvious block to accessing the towpath from there. It's worth a try.
  • ianwilliams
    ianwilliams Posts: 257
    I had a good cycle up to Saltaire at the weekend. The path is only closed from Viaduct Road (to which point I went up Kirkstall Road).

It's a nice ride, and it was nice to be outside. Cold on the hands at 8am though! The surface was OK apart from the Roubaix-esque bit outside Shipley (at least, that's what it felt like on my all alu hybrid). Saltaire was beautiful as ever.

Looking forward to pushing out the distance more over the coming weeks. Weather permitting, I want to go over 30 miles this Saturday.
  • scarthie99
    scarthie99 Posts: 209
    cycle up to 5 locks in bingley or up to skipton on canel bank