Shimano XT FH-M785 I made a boob

aidso
aidso Posts: 493
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
So I decided to service my rear hub last night after watching a YouTube video and all went to plan. Except when I put the wheel back on the bike it didn't "fit" and looked as though the rotor wasn't attached right and with a little play still left in the hub I decided to do it again....only this time I didn't pay attention to what I was doing :( :oops: :cry:

I have this axle
6HHhNy9l.jpg
and when I screw it through the Hub (disc-side) and put the other cone on the end, I am not left with enough room to put the lock nut on. So I switch it around, putting it through the drive-side and I still don't have enough room on the other side!
So my question is, in the picture above of the axle, should the cone that is already on the axle, come off or unscrew thus giving me more room to play with? Or have I screwed it in too tight and that's why it is stuck or is it meant to be stuck to the axle?

I have read both of these documents and it shows the "one-piece axle" being attached from different sides. Both are Shimano Technical documents:
Shimano Doc 1
Shimano Doc 2

Any ideas why it won't go in?
Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes it needs backing up the thread.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • aidso
    OK this pleases me. So based on knowing that both cones should come off would I be right in saying it doesn't matter what end I push the axle through as technically no cones should be attached when I poke it through?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Correct, what I do is loosley assemble so that the axle protrudes equally both ends (jsut use the cones, then hold botha nd spin the axle to centralise, then threadlock one cone and locknut to the axle as it makes future maintenance easier.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • aidso
    I'm going to need to find an adult to get this nut off then :). It's driving me up the wall.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    put lockring and cone on other end and lock together then holding that with a spanner undo the cone.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or grip the middle of the shaft with mole grips (jaws protected by rubber if you don't want it scuffed)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • aidso
    Just to say Thank You, I got it sorted by using the lock ring suggestion above. Easy when you know how I guess :). Ill know in future