Tools for installation of Shimano BB91 and hollotech crankse

rave81
rave81 Posts: 57
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
could you please help what tools do I need to remove and install BB91 and shimano XT crankset. also tools for trimming gear and brake cables.

The LBS qouted me to for $100/hr to install all groupset, excluding wheetset that I bought, according to them it will take between 4 to 6 hours to do it. I think they are ripping me off...I could assemble it myself less than 1 hour, however I have no tools to use it at the moment.

Comments

• in any way you'll need a bearing press. Doing it yourself with a makeshift tool might do it but bear in mind i've seen some frames that voided warrenty because of it. I'f you'd ask me I'd let them do it and assemble the componentry yourself. All you need is a good set of allen keys, philips head and cable cutters. Oh yeah, plenty of instructional videos of youtube ;)
  • oh, in addition you need a round plastic Shimano hollowtec specialty tool to (hand) tighten your crankarm.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    It is very similar to replacing a headset.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sheesh, I've built a complete bike in an hour flat!

Crankset and BB with right tools - about 20 minutes.

Cables with right tolls, 15 mins, I just use a good quality pair of side cutters, I use an old inner to support the liner when cutting the outer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.