Newbie bike felt z85

Butlerp
Butlerp Posts: 2
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Hi
My employer is running a bike to work scheme. I have been looking at a Felt z85. It retails at £925 but would cost £600 through the scheme. I know nothing about road bikes and would like some comments about this or other newbie road bikes, the max retail price is £1000 through the scheme. I mainly run (half /full marathons) at the moment but have done a couple of sprint triathlons and enjoy the cycling bit. Basically I want something that will last and be comfortable upto about 90km (1/2iron man).
Thanks in advance.
Phil

Comments

• Welcome to BR.

Its a good bike for the money with pretty good kit, am partial to Felt as have a few myself.

Best thing to do is go and get on the bike see how you feel & ask to do a test ride.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Its a good bike, well worth considering.

You might want to upgrade the tyres and wheels on it though, they are ok but a bit heavy and basic. But the rest ofthe bike is good. Felts are nice.
  • Hi Phil,

I picked up a fel z85 as my first bike back in autumn, its been perfect for me so far, really enjoyed it. Its really nicely finished and well specced. If i'm honest the main reason i went for it at the time was because wiggle had 35% off in a sale, it would have been a harder choice if i'd used the c2w scheme as there are a lot of well specced bikes at the price point (the giant defy 1 was the other real temptation along with a ribble build).

just for info, the only upgrade i've made so far is a proper set of pedals (although thats a pretty obvious first step) but as mentioned before, the next thing i want is a new set of tyres and possibly a new saddle, very personal but i find it a little firm in places.

Its a nice bike and well set up to start taking on long distance rides. I've no idea how much difference it makes but in case no one has pointed it out, the z range is desgned with sportives etc in mind and the f range is meant to be more 'racey'. so the equivalent f85 should be a smiliar spec but slightly more agressive geometry.

hope some of that helps!
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Oh Hai!

I'm a little biased but my z85 has been lovely. Very well specced for the price and even better through c2w. I've found it very comfortable (but also decently stiff when pushed) although I haven't done more than 50miles on it at a go. I think the carbon seatpost and fork really help. The 105 groupset has run like a dream.

As other posters have said you'll want to replace the tires and perhaps pop some Swisstop or Koolstop pads on for better breaking. Also it has the clearance for Crud Mk2s if you plan to use it in the wet / for commutes etc.

Would recommend.

Edit : The wheels aren't the lightest out there but they aren't the heaviest either and are generally reckoned to be well built and solid. Mine front popped a spoke the other day but I think that was more down to winter commuting on gritted potholed roads.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • chuckla
    chuckla Posts: 132
    I haven't got the option of c2w so I could only stretch to the Z95! I'll be collecting it on Friday and I'm really looking forward to it!

I own a felt six60 MTB and just sold a felt Qx s75 hybrid, so ima felt convert! Very good for the money!