Rear axle will not adjust

Hikerjohn
Hikerjohn Posts: 7
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a bicycle shaped object proudly presented to me by a friend wants me to sort out. Generally the bike is sort of OK but despite adjusting the rear cones satisfactorily off the bike, after a few yards the wheel slops about unacceptably.

Would I be right in thinking that the wheel should be ditched on the basis that if it's that bad the hub cups are probably shot?

Thanks

Comments

• Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Tried graunching up the QR?

...(Graunching - Scotch for mildly overtightening)
  • Hello Lagrange
    The wheel nuts were nice and tight but despite several attempts and the wheel still developed a severe wobble.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are you doing up the locknuts properly with cone spanners?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yes - I get them just right while the wheel is off the bike. It spins freely with no play when I hold the axle. But put the wheel on the bike, tighten down the nuts, ride a few yards and the wheel wobbles.
  • Is the wheel straight in the frame? Or moving in the dropouts when he rides it?
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Shackster - The wheel was in straight but thanks and to cyd190468 - I'll try that out this evening and let you know.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hikerjohn wrote:
    Shackster - The wheel was in straight but thanks and to cyd190468 - I'll try that out this evening and let you know.
    if that helps then you have not adjusted the bearings correctly in the first place.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for all your suggestions.

Nothing worked - I will assume that the wheel is beyond use and will bin it.

Thanks again
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That makes no sense...

If the cones and locknut are in the right place, the bearings may be graunchy but it won't flop around - it can't possibly get that bad that quickly..... I think it's 'finger trouble' and the cones/locknuts are winding out....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    When you are securing the wheel, is the bike on the ground or floating in a stand? I found when mine was upside down or in a stand then it would be secured at an angle and then rub against the disc rotor. Is the disc straight and/or in securely....or is it V-brakes?
  • Thanks for all the advice.

Found the problem today - the axle was slightly bent by about a 1/16". The bike had been used to tow a trailer which I suspect caused the problem.