Saracen hard tail for trail riding beginner

dg1973
dg1973 Posts: 18
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello all.

I would like some advice please. I went trail riding this week for the first time, and loved it. I am looking go get a new bike as my current bike is a low level Specialized MTB. only used it previously on tow paths etc. I am limited to Saracen bikes as I can get discount. I am torn between these 3.

http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/trail/mantra-trail

http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/trail/mantra-expert

http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/trail/kili-trail

How do these bikes compare against eac other. I'm afraid the specs don't mean a great deal to me. I am sure they would all be great compared to my Specialized. The mantra expert is a stretch budget wise. Would I benefit much more from this compared to the cheaper mantra ? What about 29er v 26er. Any benefits or otherwise for a complete novice?

I apologise for yet another which bike thread but as a beginner I would value some expert advice.
Thanks in advance

Newly hooked trail rider.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    29ers roll a bit smoother than 26ers over the bumps, but are heavier and usually lower specced.

What sort of discount are you getting?
  • dg1973
    Hopefully around 30%
  • supersonic
    Even then I wouldn't bother. Better bikes for less.
  • dg1973
    What would you suggest for sub £500 bikes if you don't mind me asking?
  • supersonic
    If you can stretch to £550 then this:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-81 ... 68918.html

Is around the same standard as the Mantra Expert, and better than the other two.
  • dg1973
    I have just been offered this for £150. Brand new.
    http://www.madison.co.uk/productinfo.as ... f=RN811818

How would this suit for cutting my teeth on while I try and save up for a better bike. I currently have a 2011 Specialized Hardrock without discs. I found it rode well (for me) on the trails but the brakes were not great and the pads made horrific noise on the rims once the wheels were dirty. I appreciate the above is very much a budget bike but this could allow me to learn some basics while I save up for a better bike.

Any thoughts ??
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Get the mantra expert. You said you wanted a trail bike, it's pretty much the only trail bike sub 1k with trail geometry. Yeah the rockrider has better parts but I'd go with the better trail focussed geometry everyday of the week! On the rockrider you've got a steep head angle with a four foot long stem! Makes for crap descending. You'll love the mantra expert. I've ridden one, I own one, and ridden loads of other hardtails with geometry like the rockrider and there's no comparison! Way quicker on the expert and way more fun!

Only thing letting it down is the shifters, but mine came with deore on so happy days. I'd rather the shimano over the elixir 3s.
  • dg1973
    I'm quite sure I will be going for the Mantra Expert. I have convinced the Mrs I will raise/save the money rather than do what I would usually do and just go out and spank the money and worry about hungry kids/dog afterwards.

Do you think the other saracen would suffice as a 6-8 week stop gap or should I stick with my specialized? Either way they will both be going to ,are way for the Mantra when the time is right.

Have you had to/chose to change much on yours?
    Thanks for the positive reply, you have confirmed my number 1 choice.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    My local Halfords has got the Carrera Fury list price £599 with a free helmet, bike lock and cycling shorts. Worth checking your local Halfords see what offers they have at the moment.

edit: Merlin have got the Malt 2 for £499.99 full Shimano Deore groupset including MT15 wheels.
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/b ... -bike.html
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • dg1973
    I am somewhat limited to Saracen due to the discount I can get. Will have a look though cheers.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    dg1973 wrote:
    What would you suggest for sub £500 bikes if you don't mind me asking?

I was responding to this question but if you are limited to Saracen then the Mantra will be okay.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • supersonic
    Concorde wrote:
    Get the mantra expert. You said you wanted a trail bike, it's pretty much the only trail bike sub 1k with trail geometry. Yeah the rockrider has better parts but I'd go with the better trail focussed geometry everyday of the week! On the rockrider you've got a steep head angle with a four foot long stem! Makes for crap descending. You'll love the mantra expert. I've ridden one, I own one, and ridden loads of other hardtails with geometry like the rockrider and there's no comparison! Way quicker on the expert and way more fun!

Only thing letting it down is the shifters, but mine came with deore on so happy days. I'd rather the shimano over the elixir 3s.

This is all rather subjective. I found the Mantra heavy for the money, sluggish to steer and totally outclassed in the twisty stuff by the Rockrider., which was faster all round. I guess it is what you are used to.
  • dg1973 wrote:
    I'm quite sure I will be going for the Mantra Expert.
    Do you think the other saracen would suffice as a 6-8 week stop gap or should I stick with my specialized? Either way they will both be going to ,are way for the Mantra when the time is right.

No that would be madness for 6-8 weeks. Stick with the hard rock and use the 150 quid to improve your new bike when you get it.

I think I prefer the look of the Rockrider to the Mantra too, but it's your choice. Don't just be swayed by RRP and notional discounts either, this presupposes the price was decent in the first place.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    supersonic wrote:
    Concorde wrote:

This is all rather subjective. I found the Mantra heavy for the money, sluggish to steer and totally outclassed in the twisty stuff by the Rockrider., which was faster all round. I guess it is what you are used to.

Yeah each to their own I suppose. Out of interest, where did you take the Mantra for a ride?