New pensions law from Oct 2012

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited February 2013 in The Crudcatcher
Ok, so hpw many people on here know about the new law bought in from October last year that means that employers (starting with the larget first and gradually over 4 years going down to smaller employers) will have to automatically put people into a pension scheme if they meet certain age and earnings criteria? And if so, how did you know?

For my sins I work for a pension provider who helps employers meet their new legal requriements and I'm fascinated to know how far this message has got.

Comments

• I knew.

I already have a pension with my company so it doesnt make a difference to me. And i found out cos i work in tax and iteract somewhat with the employment..

Now stop asking sensible questions before we set FullyMonged on you!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i knew because i employ 14 people and my brother told me we had to do it :lol:

but i think it was a tv advert iirc :?
  • Yeah, it's been plastered all over the TV for months now. Hardly a shock, behind-the-scenes thing.

I already have a pension, so it doesn't really mean anything, but I think it's a terrible idea. Small businesses shouldn't be forced to do it, as they may not make much money anyway. It'll mean that age discrimination will take place in smaller businesses, so more companies will either go bust, or not meet demand.

Not that I know anything about these things.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If that fascinates you, you have a sadder life than most cruddie mongs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    cooldad wrote:

who knew such a person lived?
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    matthew h wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

who knew such a person lived?

who indeed, or who knew that employees could opt out?

I know because I'm in charge of around 400 minions.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I hadn't taken much interest as I have a pension and quite frankly I'm appaled at it, it used to be a pension was something that the well to do and the hard workers could discuss at an evening canape soiree, but now anyone can have one, hairdressers, waiting staff, women, I mean I may even have to offer such a thing to the help
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • i have one of those local authority pensions that everyone moans is a waste of public money as they put in nearly 4 times what i do, sorry and thanks to anyone who lives in leicestershire :wink:
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Ok, so hpw many people on here know about the new law bought in from October last year that means that employers yadayadayada
    Sorry, but this is an entirely unsuitable subject for the crudcatcher. You sicken me.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    Ok, so hpw many people on here know about the new law bought in from October last year that means that employers yadayadayada
    Sorry, but this is an entirely unsuitable subject for the crudcatcher. You sicken me.

not if he uses the lump sum for hookers and blow