Frustrating Weather

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
This time of year is frustrating

Going to work it's -3C - warmers, heavy baselayer, lobsters, headband, MTB and Spikers
Coming home it's likely to be nearly 10C - shorts, short sleeves, mitts, road bike (except I'll be bringing home all the stuff above)
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    its probably about 3/4C here at the moment, Just waiting for it to warm up a bit and the morning rush hour to clear then i'm off out for a ride.

HTH
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • I'll take a bit of decent weather mixed in with the bleak stuff we've had over the past couple of months thanks very much. I'm happy to carry a bit of extra kit in a pannier for the benefit of some sun on my back. Was so nice yesterday that my son and I went to rugby training on our bikes (he plays, I coach), and despite having all our kit with us took the long way home. I guess if you haven't got a rack this is a bigger problem..
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Frustrating here too, around 2-3C which is almost road bike weather but not quite. The forests and back roads are still full of rutted ice so all the off-road routes are bumpy and frightening even with spikes. To make it worse I'm chasing 10000m of ascent for the month, which means an extra 200m to find each way.
  • Out of interest what was the route in from Tore like in terms of ice?

But for manflu i shall be cycling that way from now on but will be on road bike/ normal tyres and am concerned that the 8am forecast all week has it just around freezing.
  • Out of interest what was the route in from Tore like in terms of ice?

But for manflu i shall be cycling that way from now on but will be on road bike/ normal tyres and am concerned that the 8am forecast all week has it just around freezing.

Icy this morning. You need to be careful on the Tore to Munlochy junction section - the twice I've nearly come off my road bike has been just over the bridge past the school bus "depot". The bottom of the dip too (near the folk club place) is really bad.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Gorgeous morning though, despite the cold

8485489810_3b620f5157_z.jpg

8484397375_f749abd32a_z.jpg

8484397125_8aba3b3232_z.jpg

8484396845_a46f375a08_z.jpg
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    @MRS, I hate you. I'm now adding you to my "foe" list so I never have to look at commute pics like this again :(
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Those pics are incredible, MRS...
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    ... and breath ...
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Those pics are incredible, MRS...

Thanks - though to my shame they are nothing on the reality. A few more on FlickR
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/93277892@N00/
  • I live just beyond the tree line in the first pic. You can probably just make out the Cromarty firth in the left hand edge of the picture. The view from my house is the firth and the mountains in the background (that's Ben Wyvis - always the talk at the local PO when there's "snow on the Ben" for the first time each autumn :wink: )
  • They are very nice pics! Surprising how light it was though, what time were they taken?
  • Bobbygloss wrote:
    They are very nice pics! Surprising how light it was though, what time were they taken?

Thanks - the first one about 7.45-ish. The ones by the sea, 8.30 I guess. It's suddenly got much lighter for my morning commute in the last week. Remember that you're an hour ahead of us but probably not that far away.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    I reckon you start these threads as a pretext for gloating about the scenery on your commute.

Granted there's no mountains in that London, but we do have a Ben :roll:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Bobbygloss wrote:
    They are very nice pics! Surprising how light it was though, what time were they taken?

Thanks - the first one about 7.45-ish. The ones by the sea, 8.30 I guess. It's suddenly got much lighter for my morning commute in the last week. Remember that you're an hour ahead of us but probably not that far away.
    Makes sense. Sunrise is supposed to be only 24 mins later here (08.02 v 07.38) but I don't know how those are calculated, and there are a lot of hills to the east of us. I usually aim to be in the office before 8am, and at that time it's still dark enough to need lights on.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    I reckon you start these threads as a pretext for gloating about the scenery on your commute.

Granted there's no mountains in that London, but we do have a Ben :roll:

I can honestly say I didn't. I started it when I realised there may be a 13C difference in temp between in and back.

But I'd also be lying if I said I don't like to gloat just a "wee bit" after mornings like this morning :wink: You can gloat when, in the beginning of May, I'm still posting pictures of snow & frost and you guys are enjoying a balmy morning commute in the sunshine :D :roll: :wink:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    You'll get no sympathy from me regarding the weather. You chose to move to Sweatland and I'm pretty sure you knew it was going to be chilly in the frozen wastelands of the arctic.
    I'm not being grumpy because I'm jealous of the scenery, honest.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I on the other hand had assumed moving from London to the SW it would be warmer, you know going further sarf and all that, oh how very wrong i was.

7 years this month and i dont think we've had more than 1 week of continuous sun and warmth, dont even get me started on the wind :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    itboffin wrote:
    you know going further sarf

What, all those 4 miles south from London to Marlborough? You'd have been better off moving to Croydon.
  • rjsterry
    Not far enough W. I've experienced more snow in London than I ever did in 20-odd years of living in Bristol and Cardiff. Mind you, with the warmer temperatures around the Severn Estuary, comes more rain.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• 8487023482_f0906c6d71_z.jpg

8487023432_c68eb4eaaa_z.jpg

8487023222_5e736fb90f_z.jpg

8487023152_e727bac8cf_z.jpg

8487023342_8c8aa6edee_z.jpg

Few more - including sunset from the way home - stunning
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Those last couple are brilliant.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Lovely pictures. I like the way the underside of the bridge somehow manages to look like an old wooden pier. Presumably you were down there due to the detour.
  • Thank you both.

Yes, V68, the detour takes me down by the water so there is an upside.

That said, they closed the bridge tonight with no notice for 45 mins whilst they let a wide load across
  • Does anyone else think MRS is just taking the p*ss now?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    Just to prove that us urban dwellers aren't constantly hemmed in by grimey concrete...

image.jpg

Storm clouds over Victoria Embankment

DSC_0036.jpg

Snow on the River Wandle

Ropey phone photos, but you get the idea.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    edited February 2013
    That first one just looks like grimy concrete to me. :wink:

Edit to my post:- Nice edit to your post! :lol:

Edit to the edit:- The photo which disappeared for a wee bit has reappeared. :?
    Anyhoo - Nice clouds indeed! :D
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rjsterry
    daviesee wrote:
    That first one just looks like grimy concrete to me. :wink:

Heh. I remember getting to the top of the Blackfriars slip road, seeing that and thinking "Oh crap, I am going to need a snorkel in about 5 minutes."
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Love those clouds!
  • rjsterry
    Here's another one from Tuesday. Just had to post this to remind myself that it was nice, as opposed to the freezing headwind we've had for the last 3 days.
    DSC_0193.jpg
    Pinnacle Monzonite