100km ride what food should I take?

2»

Comments

• djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    Good point - but I'm no long timer - more or less novice myself.

I've been cycling for eight months - seriously since august last year. I did find I started to go on empty after about 30 miles when I started going long distance which is when I started taking on energy drinks. I also discovered the need for electrolytes to prevent cramp - hence the isotonic thing - I make my own from squash with added sea salt.
    I have never needed to eat very much on the long rides and on 60 miles I'll maybe not eat at all - but I will take an energy bar along just in case. I do eat more if I'm climbing a lot or it's cold but I have simply found that at the end I've only eaten half a bar of what I brought with me even on rides up to 80 miles or so.
    I have recently stepped up to real long distance stuff (stop laughing Audaxers, yes 200 km is max so far) - and then I find that it's important to eat properly. Someone mentioned the 4 hour mark above - this is roughly my estimation too. On my longest 200k ride I stop and eat a baked potato half way - I also got through a banana, a high-energy bar and a gel. Plus I refilled three half litre water bottles half way - but then that was 120 miles in January - not 60.

All I'm trying to say is that one shouldn't worry too much over 100 km (60 ish) miles - it's not that big of a deal. It's when you step up to longer rides that eating becomes important. On a 100k when you're going a long way from home I'd worry more about carrying a multitool, spare tube and pump.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I guess my body is still sussing that out and I'm a slim reasonably fit guy to start with.
    Take others' experiences as useful pointers, there's no single correct answer.

I suggest you experiment with some of the ideas above. Err on the side of eating less, you can always carry an extra bar in a seat pack or stop at a petrol station or convenience store if you feel you are running low and need something extra to get you home. Getting better at riding further involves nothing more complicated than riding further.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Well guys I did 40 miles today trying to follow some of the route to be prepared for Sunday, I had the one full bottle of juice and no food with me. I felt ok out on my own.

Like every sport we are all at different levels but each individual has their own goals to beat.
    I aspire to do the miles that some of you ride and I look up and respect stronger cyclists, that's why I'm putting in the miles as often as possible! But I simply enjoy my cycling and like to be prepared :)

Thanks again for all your thoughts
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    djm501 wrote:

*waves to marcusjb - see you over at yacf - over there I am known as Caerau*

Hola! I am over here on day release from the weirdy beardy audaxers!