carbon hardtails

crazy_piblos
crazy_piblos Posts: 6
edited February 2013 in MTB general
Hi

i'm currently in the market for a lightweight hardtail capable of taking a few knocks but more speed than anything else i have had a look at Commencal Supernormal and a couple of BeOne carbon offerings but just wanted some suggestions from other riders?

cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    On One Whippet.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Whippet or 456c
  • specialized stumpjumper expert carbon.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Whippet gets my vote.
  • I've got a Scott Scale 20 extremly light responsive and a comfortable ride seeing as it's so stiff, however i did swap out the stock wheels, bars, stem and seatpost which really made a difference.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • njee20
    Do you have a budget incidentally?
  • looking at around £2000 mark, the whippet does seem tobe the way forward at the minute, the scott scales dont look as well equipped for the money?

what about santa cruz chameleon or commencal supernormal? any opinions on these?

cheers
  • njee20
    Chameleon is a more 'hardcore' bike, and it's aluminium...
  • fair do's, everyone i have spoken to comes back with the whippet as the first response so i may have to go test ride one!
  • For your budget it would be hard going to beat the value of a Whippet, you will get a vastly better spec than any of the 'big' brands(Spesh, Scott, Giant Trek etc). Full X9 for 1500 quid. On sale at 1299.99 just now as well... That would leave a good chunk of cash to swap a few bits out if you wanted, or upgrade to a really light set of wheels to make it really light!
    Custom spec Scott Scale
    Custom spec Salsa Fargo
    Custom spec Scott CR1
    Scott Speedster S1
  • There's only one : Flash 29. Or F29 so to speak.
    Specialized Tarmac Sworks
    Canyon Spectral 8.9
  • For your budget it would be hard going to beat the value of a Whippet, you will get a vastly better spec than any of the 'big' brands(Spesh, Scott, Giant Trek etc). Full X9 for 1500 quid. On sale at 1299.99 just now as well... That would leave a good chunk of cash to swap a few bits out if you wanted, or upgrade to a really light set of wheels to make it really light!

Cheers, where did you see it at 1299.99?

Cheers, where did you see it at 1299.99?

At on-one?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FBOOWHCAB/o ... _bike_2013
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Which is the only place you'll get one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cheers, i had obviously looked at on-one and could have sworn it said 1499.99 and hadn't even noticed it was on sale cheaper that is why i asked