Drilling hole in rim for schrader compatibility

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I have been having issues with my presta valves and am sick of having to put a new tube in ever other ride. As a result I want to switch to Schrader ones. My Dt swiss XR400 rims are drilled for presta sizes valves. Would it be easy enough to just widen the hole for Schrader valves/get my LBS to do it for me or by drilling the hole wider the rim would be knackered?
If not then should I go tubeless?
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What sort of issues?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mikeyj28
    cooldad wrote:
    What sort of issues?
    repeated valves coming away from the tube. I have got lots of rim tape in place and filed the edges of the hole to make them extra smooth. They still cut away. Really fed up with it so want to go to Schrader as they have been stronger and good for me in the past.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have a read. Depends on the rim.
    viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12904679
    You are using the little nut thingy? If so they shouldn't move.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mikeyj28
    cooldad wrote:
    Have a read. Depends on the rim.
    viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12904679
    You are using the little nut thingy? If so they shouldn't move.

yes I'm using the little screw nut thing. thanks for the link. I'll have a read