Whyte 146s

Timma
Timma Posts: 154
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi

Am thinking of upgrading from a Marin XM8 2011 to a Whyte 146s. I do love the marin and find climbing is exceptional, does anyone have experience going from marin to whyte?
As they are from same suspension design i was hoping the whyte would climb just as well but descend even better.

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The 146 is a great bike, it climbs well and descends well too, but the geometry is pretty extreme and not all get on with it. T'is a great bike, I loved the one I tested, I suggest you try and find one to try out!
  • Timma
    Timma Posts: 154
    Was thinking the same i feel like the extra 1.5degree slacker head and longer front etc is what makes me think the climbing would be the one thing effecting the climbing ability. Does the rear suspension dig in like the marin helping traction on steep climbs do you remember
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Traction seemed good and it didn't feel any less efficient, I round a 120mm mount vision before it and the 146 climbed just as well. I've recently slackened out my Mojo DH so the headangle and wheelbase are close to the 146 and it still climbs really well. The only reason I didn't get a 146 was due to the stupid amount of time I waited for one when they first came out, it kept getting pushed back further and further so I just gave up in the end... The Whyte is one of the very best trail/Am bikes around imo, I rate it very highly!