Horse - would you knowingly eat it?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited February 2013 in The cake stop
So, all processed meat in the UK and beyond appears to be 99% Shergar-Burger.

Can't say it ever bothered me the thought of eating a horse anyway, I've not great affection for them.

But is this a new, potential addition to the UK diet? And if it was on the menu, would you eat it?

FWIW, I had some baby camel when I was in the middle east before Xmas.

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes.

have done.

will do again.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I'd give it a try.

I've tried a few 'exotic' meats (ostrich, goat, kangaroo, puffin), some have been nice while others aren't for me. At least I know what they are like.

If I buy something labelled as beef, I want it to be beef not horse/pig/dog etc.
  • Yes I'd buy it.
    It's a bit tougher than beef, less fatty, tastes a bit stronger.

I say introduce all meats into the supermarkets. The uk sells the least different types of meats than anywhere else I've been too. Sad really.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Tried some in France, it was like lean beef steak. I would certainly have it again, probably a market for it here now. However I bought horse and received horse. I wouldn't be happy if I had ordered beef and received horse.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    nicklouse wrote:
    yes.

have done.

will do again.

+1
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    You're already eating decomposing corpses, now you want to pretend you're fussy as to which one :roll:

MTFU it's dead what harm can it cause you?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Yes, if I fancied the way it was cooked. I like a lot of others have eaten stuff probably a lot less palletable (on the face of it) than horse. Like critters that scrat about on the sea bed for instance.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • I'd give it a try.

I've tried a few 'exotic' meats (ostrich, goat, kangaroo, puffin), some have been nice while others aren't for me. At least I know what they are like.

If I buy something labelled as beef, I want it to be beef not horse/pig/dog etc.

Puffin? :shock:

I'd eat horse, though I'd prefer something farmed than off the track.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    yes, nothing wrong with a nice horse steak, also had rattlesnake, ostrich, aligator, kangaroo, zebra and a few others, mostly ok, zebra was a bit chewy

not had puffin, what was it like?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Not had horse, but I like a good whale steak.
  • Yes, I'd eat horse - steak anyway, from somewhere reputable.

I've eaten kangaroo. Well, as far as I know I have. It said Kangaroo Steak on the menu...

I thought it tasted different from cow, but who knows.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I've had 'roo, wallaby, crocodile, witchity grub, goanna, fruit bat, zebra, alligator, eland, gazelle, elk, moose, raccoon, rattlesnake, whale ( which I liked, although I couldn't eat a whole one) and once even had haggis :-)
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    If you've eaten half the cr4p in ration packs then a bit o' Red Rum is the least of your worries ....... Donkey is rubbish though - I wouldn't recommend that. Dog is alright but nothing special. You'd have to be barking to turn it down if you're really hungry though .........

The problem is, as above, the UK market is pointless - head down any butcher in France, Italy, Spain, Portugal and you'll find rabbit, horse etc alongside the normal meats - in the UK - er, beef, pork, chicken, err beef, pork chicken. Wow - minted lamb!

99% of this problem is that the average Brit has the palette of a worm and is scared of anything that they can't buy in Tesco. .

'Roo is no longer a "wow" meat - everyone and their dog has had it down the local Bernie Inn. Same for ostrich, alligator, etc.

GB needs a culinary kick up the backside if you ask me - nothing better than a bit of rabbit on the barbie/gently fried with some fresh garlic, a couple of glasses of red wine and a fresh green salad ........
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    The more horse we can eat, the less crap we ride through on the roads. Bring it on.

The older I get, the better I was.

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    if its farmed - for human comsumption- then perfectly ok but if the processors/retailers will lie and put in horse, then what about other "meats" that are lying around? and how can you trust them over anything else they sell?
    Its down to the retailers to make sure of their products, not shift blame onto others, like local authorities etc, its not like they ie Tescos - couldnt afford the testing is it?
  • Yossie
    As an aside, it is just me or did no one else ever think it a bit weird/coincedental that the abbatoir that had the deal to dispose of injured/dead horses from Aintree also had the deal to supply beef to a major seller of really rubbish pre packed meals? Were there no checks to see that the number of horses that came in equated to the number of horses that went out? Or is that too simple?

Just wonderin' like ...........
  • Yep, eaten horse. Not bad. But then, I will eat pretty much anything. I can't be the only one watching a wildlife programme on TV who's first thought is "wonder what they taste like?"
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I don't know but I did pick up a bargain at Tesco yesterday, family size value lasagne down to £1. I love food scares, they keep the Bompington family freezer well stocked.
  • Yossie
    Now that bodes well on the nutitional scale.....

How the art of cooking dies.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    bompington wrote:
    I don't know but I did pick up a bargain at Tesco yesterday, family size value lasagne down to £1. I love food scares, they keep the Bompington family freezer well stocked.
    We did that, my 11 year old daughter loves Lasagne. Unfortunately the recent news stories have put her off.
    Personally I have no problem eating horse. But, as others have said it's the mislabelling and wether the meat is actually safe for consumption that irritates me.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Absolutely, although I suspect the risks of it being unsafe for consumption are seriously exaggerated.

And Yossie, rest assured that cheap nasty processed foods (or overpriced processed foods too FWIW) form a very small proportion of our diet - we usually cook our own stuff, mostly stews, curries, pasta etc, and mostly from fresh veg (except for a heavy tinned chopped tomato dependency) with a small amount of meat: and the kids have taken their turn to do it since before they were ten.
  • This is the bar at aintree - haha meat is Mur Der

Meat_is_mur_der_zps50f87ffd.jpg

For those coming for the eddie soens, you can check it out - they have tooth picks in the shape of jockeys.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.