New Cleats & Shoes

defy3man
defy3man Posts: 68
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Just received new Shimano R540 SPD SL pedals and Shimano RO77 shoes from Evans and fitted them to the bike this morning. I tried them in the house i.e. clipping in and out as I didn't want to go outside in case I send them back. The upshot of this is that I feel totally uneasy with the system and find it takes a lot of effort to unclip and needs a good sideways movement which feels as if it would cause me a bit of pain in my knee, I'm prone to sore knees anyway. What I would like to know is if I venture out on the road are things going to get any easier and is there going to any great benefit over using clips? I have used clips for years and am totally comfortable with them and am just looking for advice as to whether the gains over the discomfort would justify clipless, especially as I use my bike predominantly for commuting and occasional longer runs. Have to add I am contemplating doing a charity run late summer which is approx 165 miles over 2 days and this is the main reason I thought I'd try the clipless option. I would be grateful for any advice from people who know far more about this than me. Thanks in advance folks. :)

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    There is a tension adjuster on the rear of the pedal (allen key, I think) - loosen this a few turns equally on both pedals, it will make clipping-in & out easier.
    Cycling weakly
  • [Since I am one of the few around here who have actually used decent quality clips and straps and put decent miles into them...]

In some ways, it has to be said that clipless pedals are more convenient. No reaching down, no loosening or tightening. Just put your foot in and you're away. However, you also have to worry about cleat positioning and wear (unless you have a pair of old-style cycling shoes with old-style cleats that you use with your rat traps), float, spring tension, and so on, and you can't ride on the back of them (particularly if you use single-sided pedals) until it's convenient to flip over quite like you can with clips and straps... In use there's not much difference - they're all things that you push with your feet to make your bike go forwards - and certainly clipless pedals won't make you faster or any nonsense like that. To start with I missed the secure feeling of a tight leather strap holding my foot in place, but on the other hand (or foot) I didn't miss the loss of circulation.

To be perfectly honest, I think there's a more-than-good case for your sticking with clips and straps if you're happy with them, but if you did want to go with clipless pedals those wouldn't be my choice. MTB/touring/shoes with recessed SPD cleats, and double-sided SPD pedals, would be a better choice for someone doing the sort of riding that you are, in my view.

You could compromise and go with some SPD shoes (with or without cleat covers; it doesn't really matter) and use those with your clips and straps, which is much nicer than using floppy trainers, and would give you better foot support for longer rides.
  • Thanks for the answers guys, some good advice. Got to admit, I never tighten up the straps on my rat traps, just leave them fairly slack. I also think that I may not gain much by switching from clips to clipless and at least I am assured that I am unlikely to fall off through not getting unclipped. (Last time that happened to me was on a 500 cc motorbike when my lace caught on the footpeg at a junction, never knew I could get out from under the bike and lift it up so quick :oops: ) Still toying with the idea of trying them out on the road and if I don't get on with them I could always try and sell them on the road forum here.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    As said above, try slackening the tension all the way, should make it much easier. I went for SPD's with the M077 shoes, and they work really well.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Slackened tension all the way down guys and it still feels a bit too much resistance for comfort. Been looking at the Shimano M520 SPD pedals and thinking this may be the way to go. Would I be right in thinking these are easier to clip in & out of?
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Supposedly SPD is easier to unclip, but I've never tried SPD-SL so I can't say from experience.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • defy3man wrote:
    Slackened tension all the way down guys and it still feels a bit too much resistance for comfort. Been looking at the Shimano M520 SPD pedals and thinking this may be the way to go. Would I be right in thinking these are easier to clip in & out of?

They really are very easy indeed. If you slacken them off all the way the force of the slightest foot movement can unclip you.
  • Thanks for your advice Simon, been on to Evans site to-night and ordered a set of M520 and multi-release cleats, not sure if pedals come with the cleats, I assume they do but probably only standard release. I've got to try them as everyone says the improvement is great. Hopefully Evans will take the R540 pedals back as only tried them on the bike in the house. If not don't tell me I have to buy another bike just to put the spare pedals on! :lol:
  • nolight
    nolight Posts: 261
    Practise different angles and pedal positions at home to get the best position to unclip. I find it easier to unclip by pointing the toe downwards first to give leverage.