It all feels a bit different?

teeoffchris
teeoffchris Posts: 42
edited February 2013 in MTB general
As some of you might know from my previous posts I have bought myself a new bike last week. I took it out for its maiden voyage yesterday and the ride feels different from my other bike. The frame is the same size and everything is set up very similar with the exception of two things. 1 the gear changers are on the underside of the bars and the other is the handlebar extension is 120mm rather than the 80mm that is on my previous bike.

The gear changers being on the bottom rather than the top although was a bit strange and made my thumbs ache I soon got use to it. but the extension bar being 40mm longer made me feel as though I was stretching a little. Now here is my dilemma. After I manage to stop thinking about the new position (by convincing myself I will change the extension to a 80mm during the week) I noticed that this seemed to make my body a bit straighter and help with my breathing and the other thing I noticed when I got off was that my wrists did not hurt at all which I have been suffering from since before Christmas?

Is it feasible that such a small change of position could make such a difference? I am still tempted to change the extension as it would make it feel more like my old riding position but I can help feeling that perhaps I was riding an incorrect position all this time?

What would you do change it or leave it for a while ?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is the bike and shifters?
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    But, yes, the difference between a (long) 120mm stem and an 80mm stem is very noticeable, both in the riding position and the steering.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and what was the bike?

and i dont think the sizes would have been the same and i bet there are a whole pile of other differences.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic wrote:
    What is the bike and shifters?

It is a Rockrider 8XC Replica

Truvativ Firex GXP 3.3 crankset 22x33x44 ; SRAM X-7 precise, reliable and lightweight shifters. SRAM X-7 front and rear derailleur K7 SRAM PG 1050 12x34 10 speeds

" Bartimaeus" I am sure they are not exactly the same but stood next to each other they look and measure as close as you could get. I'm sure there are plenty of subtle differences as you say. I wouldnt say I was uncomfortable on it just felt diffent and was suprised it would make the difference on my wrist that has been giving me trouble for a while now.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Sounds like you need to adjust, brakes/shifters, seat position, bars, rather than just have it the way it was put together in the shop, the angle of your shifters could by why your wrists hurt.
  • Its not a small difference its quite a difference in stem & will feel quite a bit different as your more stretched out on the bike. Could be the shifters need moving but if it were me I'd consider changing the stem to get your position right first then if you still are not getting used to the shifters you can always move them later on.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.