How to get rides in with toddler in tow?

YIMan
YIMan Posts: 576
edited February 2013 in MTB general
So today it's one of the loveliest days for a long time and would be the perfect day to get out for a ride.......but the Mrs. is on 12 hour dayshift and I'm looking after our 22 month old toddler.

Does anyone have any experience of getting out for a ride with a toddler in tow? I have one of those seats that hangs off the seatpost.....but.....I wouldn't dream of taking him on the road bike. On the mountain bike the seat alters the handling so much that you wouldn't want to do anything remotely technical.

I've thought about a trailer but I guess then you're stuck with the likes of ex-railway tracks - something traffic free and relatively smooth.

What are people's experiences of going on rides taking a toddler along? Are my assumptions correct that even with a trailer I'm stuck with non-technical rides? What kit would you recommend?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you are even contemplating technical rides with a toddler you need your head examined.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YIMan
    I was actually after some constructive experience or knowledge, but thanks for the reply. The forum spirit strikes again.

Do I need my head examined for, for example, considering taking a toddler in a trailer on a Peak District bridleway, which might have more testing uphills and be more "technical" than a railway track? "Technical" doesn't automatically mean the most extreme example of rocky downhills with dropoffs......
  • cooldad
    I have experience as a father, and obviously our interpretation of 'technical' differs.
    If you don't want opinions, don't ask.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YIMan
    I asked for knowledge and experience. "You need your head examined", based on your assumption of what I meant by "technical", offers absolutely nothing to the discussion except antagonism.
  • Rucks
    Rucks Posts: 93
    Was gonna post a pic of the kid squished behind a fat woman riding a bike ( we all know the pic ) to follow with forum etiquette but for the life of me could I find it...

On a serious note, I wouldn't dare take my daughter out ON my bike with me anywhere, for me her safety is paramount, the rear carriers look too dangerous to carry a child of any age in, imagine even dropping the bike with the kid strapped in one of those let alone when it's moving, I've always used my trailer to cart her round in on rides, sometimes get a bit stuck with gates and barriers but on the whole we get about most places, plus she loves it, sat in the back with her very own picnic.
  • YIMan
    Thank you! That's exactly my issue with the rear carrier.

What type of trailer do you have if you don't mind me asking - and what type of terrain have you had success riding with it on?
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    As above, trailer only, if you come off they generally will stay upright due to the joint.
  • Rucks
    Forget the make, it's up the shed, but its a 2 seater with luggage bit at the back, has a full rain cover which velcros from front to back, she likes it because the seats are like hammocks so she's not thrown about and neither's the vast amount of Barbie's that tag along for the ride.
    It's obviously at its best on flat hard ground but fire roads and bridal ways aren't any problems,
    The only problems I've come across as I mentioned before are the gates and cycle barriers.
    They can be expensive, bought mine from an old lady who used it once to take her little dog with her but it didn't enjoy it, the link belows just to a single in halfords but gives you an idea,

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165476
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    You can put children in a trailer from about 1. Some people do it earlier, but...

You can do light XC with a trailer; I mean forest tracks, small mounds and fire ways etc.

Even if you have one child, I would recommend a twin seater trailer; they are a lot more stable.
  • Levi_501
    Sorry, I forgot to add, we have a Chariot Cougar 2. There is a picture of it in the family section behind my R8.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I regularly take my kids out on my bike with the trailer attached , it was £80 off fleabay and as above but it converts into a buggy too and can carry 2 kids up to 5 ish of age. I go on coast paths and old railway lines but it is pretty sturdy and the kids love it.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • Rucks
    This any good? Not to far from notts

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/aveni ... tem-full-5
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12875981&p=18008470&hilit=weeride#p18008470

I use one of these quite a bit. My Son is a bit older (2), but you can use these from younger.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I personally wouldn't take a child on a bike on anything other than fire roads or green routes, maybe some blue routes at a push depending on what they are like. Most of the blue at Glentress I wouldn't.

Problem I see is, there is always a possibility of you falling off, if there wasn't you wouldn't wear a helmet. At least on green routes and fire roads there is less likely to be sharp rocks or something to fall onto. You have to remember the child is going to be falling from a greater height than you, what is a simple step off the bike for you is quite a nasty fall for them forgetting the fact they are strapped in. Plus there is always the possibility of you landing on top of them. Of course you could just go slower but then you are quite often in less control then and more likely to fall off, especially with some of those seats that wobble about all over the place. Personally I would feel safer having the child in one of those backpack type things, at least then they are attached to you but I still wouldn't do this on even remotely technical climbs or anything you might need to dab a foot on. If you're on a bridleway that could mean ruts and mud couldn't it? That would be a big no no in my mind.

Unfortunately I personally see it as you either have to get someone to babysit or you can't really go out, not to do anything worthwhile anyway unless it's as much about their enjoyment as yours. My mate hasn't been out on a bike in months because his partner is always having to work so he has to look after his daughter, she's too young to be strapped to a bike or anything anyway really but I don't know how he feels about doing that anyway, I know for sure he won't be going on anything at all challenging or rough or anything. Remember as well that anything that is even slightly rough for you with your suspension is going to be way worse for a child in a trailer plus it's a lot wider than your bike and could easily flip on a berm or something.

Whatever you do though, make sure they are attached to something. There was a dad coming down to the green route at Glentress yesterday with his young daughter just sitting on the top tube holding onto the stem :shock:

Obviously it's your personal choice but that's my views on the subject.
  • weve a trailer that i used to tow the olest around in quite often, up around the wood ont the std tracks, ou on the road etc. was great fun, she loved it but was a bit restrictive, after chatting to a few other dads , i popped her in the back carrier (simple one rather than a framed version), we went all over the place in it, around the woods on smoe simple single track, blasting down through the woods to the beach racing mummy in the car, was an absolute blast, having her on the ack chatting away as you rode, would often use it for the pre-school run and then head off for aride and pick her up on the way back,
    would i take her on the usual techy sctions through the woods, probably not, but as soon as she was big enough for a tag along she went on that, we've done all manor of techy trails on it, great to hear her behind you whooping!!

as long as your sensible with them theres no reason why you cant get out and enjoy rides with them , ours were in the trailer from8 mnths or so, as long as they can hold their head up they are okay for short journeys, 14months plus they are able to take longer trips, Both have loved it, and the bigger one is one of the best most confdent cyclist inher year at school (year 2) and the littlun is on the balance bike on the school runs, (2 1/2)

everybody's children are different, some will taketo it sraight away, some wont, i'm lucky that both of mine have,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    DCR00 wrote:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12875981&p=18008470&hilit=weeride#p18008470

I use one of these quite a bit. My Son is a bit older (2), but you can use these from younger.

I should add that we dont ride anything remotely technical. I dont take risks where my Son is concerned.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    I have a double trailer which I use for commuting with two children on forest fire roads. At the weekend my wife and I put them in the rear mounted bike seats and again ride mostly forest fire roads. I've done some 'tame' singletrack (Minley Maze at Minley etc) and have found that fiddling with the set up is worthwhile as you can reduce the affect it has on handling.

The world is full of risks and you need to assess what is an actual risk as opposed to a perceived risk, imho you shouldn't wrap your children up in cotton wool.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • YIMan
    Thanks for the input and links all. I think a trailer on anything up to forest tracks/not-too-rough bridleways is the way to go. I think I could get out and do some half-decent rides that way.
  • YIMan
    peter413 wrote:
    I personally wouldn't take a child on a bike on anything other than fire roads or green routes, maybe some blue routes at a push depending on what they are like. Most of the blue at Glentress I wouldn't.

Problem I see is, there is always a possibility of you falling off, if there wasn't you wouldn't wear a helmet. At least on green routes and fire roads there is less likely to be sharp rocks or something to fall onto. You have to remember the child is going to be falling from a greater height than you, what is a simple step off the bike for you is quite a nasty fall for them forgetting the fact they are strapped in. Plus there is always the possibility of you landing on top of them. Of course you could just go slower but then you are quite often in less control then and more likely to fall off, especially with some of those seats that wobble about all over the place. Personally I would feel safer having the child in one of those backpack type things, at least then they are attached to you but I still wouldn't do this on even remotely technical climbs or anything you might need to dab a foot on. If you're on a bridleway that could mean ruts and mud couldn't it? That would be a big no no in my mind.

Unfortunately I personally see it as you either have to get someone to babysit or you can't really go out, not to do anything worthwhile anyway unless it's as much about their enjoyment as yours. My mate hasn't been out on a bike in months because his partner is always having to work so he has to look after his daughter, she's too young to be strapped to a bike or anything anyway really but I don't know how he feels about doing that anyway, I know for sure he won't be going on anything at all challenging or rough or anything. Remember as well that anything that is even slightly rough for you with your suspension is going to be way worse for a child in a trailer plus it's a lot wider than your bike and could easily flip on a berm or something.

Whatever you do though, make sure they are attached to something. There was a dad coming down to the green route at Glentress yesterday with his young daughter just sitting on the top tube holding onto the stem :shock:

Obviously it's your personal choice but that's my views on the subject.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I wouldn't dream of doing anything with berms with a seat or trailer on....and I agree on the suspension - there's only so much trail-roughness before it gets too much for a child in a trailer.

I think with the trailer the risk is mitigated by some of the trailers having a roll cage and the child being strapped in.....but again I'm not contemplating racing downhill at 30mph with a trailer on the back.

I think what I could do with a trailer is anything from old railway tracks (e.g. Monsal Trail/Tissington trail) to wide bridleways/tracks. Even slower than normal uphill with the trailer on the back, half decent pace on smooth/flat and taking it very gingerly downhill. Probably a lot of canal paths are out because they can get very very narrow in places going under bridges.
  • I tell you what though, a trailer with littlun in riding up hills is Damn good Hill training!! When there old enough for a tag along you don't half notice when they Stop pedaling!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • cooldad wrote:
    If you are even contemplating technical rides with a toddler you need your head examined.
    i agree cooldad and would take it further, dont go out with a 22month baby in tow no matter how your gonna carry it, never did with my kids, and your asking for trouble
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • YIMan
    cooldad wrote:
    i agree cooldad and would take it further, dont go out with a 22month baby in tow no matter how your gonna carry it, never did with my kids, and your asking for trouble

What would be your reasoning for a "blanket ban", out of interest?
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x-Wh8Os ... r_embedded

Here's a video of riding singletrack with a trailer so you can see what sort of thing is feasible
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • cooldad
    Not advisable
    551500_496873540354220_1406331109_n.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

Why?

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • YIMan wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

what happens if you fall? its not like going for a walk
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • Levi_501
    They are well strapped in and the trailers have integral roll cages.

There is a thread on another forum, where the trailer with the guys daughter came off and rolled at circa (IIRC) something like 30mph.

She was fine, unhurt but furious!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Levi_501 wrote:
    They are well strapped in and the trailers have integral roll cages.

There is a thread on another forum, where the trailer with the guys daughter came off and rolled at circa (IIRC) something like 30mph.

She was fine, unhurt but furious!
    so you can guarantee that will be the case every time ?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • I've had some success with the seat which clamps on the top tube (IE in front of you rather than behind). Its extremely difficult to pedal uphill for any length of time because it obstructs your knees but when descending its a blast and the bike feels a lot more balanced than it would with a rear carrier. If I ride well under my usual speed the risks are minimal.

The little one was stoked after the we rode the downhill track at Fort William :wink:
    www.trailguru.co.uk - The ultimate guide to mountain biking in Wales
  • YIMan
    YIMan wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

what happens if you fall? its not like going for a walk

What are the chances of me falling, on a bridle way or forest road, with a trailer attached to the bike? And if I did, what would happen is I would get up and back onto the bike.