How much do spokes and nipples weigh?

eddiefiola
eddiefiola Posts: 344
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Trying to work how much getting a set of Stans Flow/Evo 29 (1900g) wheels will save weight wise.

I have Alex rims EN24 front and back which are stated to weight 550g, then front hub is Shimano HB-M525A at 304g and rear hub is Shimano FH-M525A at 449g.

So approximately whats the total weight of the wheelset i have when i add in spokes etc?

I went all 'get as chunky as you can' and got a Hans Dampf tyre for the front 29x2.35 which comes in at a huge 865g, along with the Rapid Rob on the rear at 790g I can lose 585g between both tyres by changing to Racing Ralphs, really dont need something like the HD's for the riding i'm doing.

Just want to see what the total could be with wheels and tyres changed, cost and whether it would be worth it.

Oh btw I'm 102kgs right now, just packed up the cigs so put on a few kgs ;( any other budget choices apart from Flows?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on the spokes. With DT their Comp spokes, double butted (2.0/1.8/2.0) are about 380g for 64 spokes, 265mm ish. Plain gauge 2.0mm? About 445g. Revolution (2.0/1.5/2.0) about 280g.

Nipples are about 20g for 64 alloy, 60g for 64 brass (for 2.0 thread).
  • supersonic
    I'd estimate your wheels (99% sure will have 2.0mm plain gauge spokes) to be about 2.5kg for the pair. if the rim weights are correct, I have 482g.
  • Very helpful, Thanks supersonic!
  • supersonic
    What sort of riding do you do?
  • not sure how you would classify it, its just forest trails, up and downs, nothing heavy, cross country i guess?
  • supersonic
    I certainly think a stout wheelset is needed as you are a good weight. That said, for the riding, something like flows may be overkill (but safe).

Tyres and tubes are a very good way of dropping weight, but also look at other components. All depends on your budget really, and making a plan to make the most of it.
  • Yeah i looked at the Crests and think my 100+ kgs could be a bit too much although I do have plans to lose some ;)

Upgraded Elixir 1s to Shimano XT, not sure if that saved or put on weight but at least I can stop now, the Avids were horrible but could have been a bad factory bleed i guess.

No real plans to upgrade much more, the bike is a Canyon Yellowstone AL 5.9.
  • supersonic
    It has a quite even and balanced spec, so big changes are going to be hard to do. Sometimes easier when they have a few poor parts, as at least you know where to start an get quick rewards!

I'd get some foam grips though - try these:

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/.Bont ... 107859.htm

100g less for a tenner!
  • i was actually looking at foam grips, i replaced the stock ones with some Token lock on grips which are 120g, not that bothered about the 100g off for foam but would actually like to try some fatter foam grips as i think my hands are a bit big for normal grips.
  • supersonic
    The foam tends to be thicker anyway.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Bontrager Race X Lite foam are thick.
  • supersonic wrote:
    I certainly think a stout wheelset is needed as you are a good weight. That said, for the riding, something like flows may be overkill (but safe).

For around the 200 quid mark would the Flows be the best for my weight/easy riding or do you think I could get away with Crests? Anything else that would be a good call around that budget?
  • supersonic
    The Arch EX is the one in the middle, but not as easy to get hold of. I think you are above the Crest weight limit.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Spoke weights assume 290mm spokes.
    plain gauge 2.0mm x64 =470g Spaim Leader
    2.0/1.8/2.0mm x64 =400g Sapim Race
    2.0/1.65/2.0mm x 64 =344g Sapim D-light

Plain guage spokes are not needed in any wheelset. 2.0.1.8/2.0 mm spokes are the one I most commonly use. Sapim Race and DT comps are this gauge. If a 2.0mm diamter spoke is needed then a significant load is being carries in which case a single butted spoke 2.3/2.0mm is more suitable as the elbow is a thicker gauge giving enhanced fatigue resistance.

Plsin gauge spokes are used because they are cheap not because they make a better wheel although I am sure some on here think a thicker spoke makes a stonger wheel . A thicker spoke makes a stiffer (not stronger) wheel but is the spoke bracing angles and a stiff enough rim are picked then the thicker spoke is unnessary. Also double butted spokes commonly have a longer fatigue life than plain guage spokes. This is a good thing for spoke life.

for your weight OP and for XC riding 2.0/1.8/2.0mm bdouble butted spokes on a Stans flow rim on a decent hub(which gives good bracing angles like Hope or shimano) the wheel will be stiff enough and have good durability.

Using plain gauge spoke does not make the wheel more durable, in fact a double butted spoke like the Sapim Race would lead to a more durable wheel as the fatigue life of this spoke is longer than Sapim Plain gauge spoke - The Leader.

Sapim Race spokes are £0.45 each in most place including my shop. Sapim plain guage are £0.32. You won't save much.

DT Swiss Sapim and ACI all make equally good spokes.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I'm about the same weight as you and am having zero issues with the XT wheelset on my Rock Lobster. Think they're circa 1670g iirc..
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I would agree that 1600-1700g wheelset can be built with good relaibilty for a 102kg rider.
    However you will have to spend on the hubs as say Hope Pro II hubs (500g/pair)with stans flow rims (1020g/pair)
    Spaim Race spokes 400g and nipples 64g you have 1980g.

To get below 1700g you will need to do some thing like the following
    XTR hubs 400g/pair
    Stans Arch rims 800g/pair
    Spaim Race spokes 400g
    Brass nipples 64g.
    Total 1664g
    Further weight could be dropped by using Sapim D-light spokes and alloy nipples but this will also add cost. About 80g could be saved by using these parts.

It will cost though over £500 if I were doing them. I am sure others builder would be a similar price.
    XT 29er wheels would be cheaper but the rear is 1000g and given the 24 spokes the rim will be havy to give the wheel stiffness. The front wheel 831g giving 1831g for the pair. So they will be heavier.

Low weight comes at a price.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.