Noob question ... new bike: top 3 add-ons?

ianhargreaves
ianhargreaves Posts: 12
edited February 2013 in MTB general
Hi all.

I'm a casual weekend rider and have just upgraded from a Dawes hybrid to something that can handle muddy conditions we have at the moment much better:

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/detail/12carve/carve/carve%20comp%2029/

9047?$Display$

Anyway - I've added a few obvious accessories, but as a gadget obsessive, interested to hear what the top 3 upgrades are people add to their new bikes.

- my list:
mudguards
toeclips
Dropper seat (taiwan copy)
Seat - Possibly move my specialized avatar comp gel saddle from my old bike to new ?

I'm not into cleats at the moment, and comfort more important than weight/speed for 40 something rider like me.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Toe clips are a bad idea, hard to get out of and are not used nowadays offroad. Stick with flats for now, and if they are poor, some new ones.

Mudguards are always a good idea, as are new grips and saddle if uncomfrtable.
  • Supersonic - thanks for replying...
    I must be cycling dinosaur having ridden for the last 30+ years with clips.
    Clips made sense on my early 'racers' - maybe less so in the mud. So point taken.
    I've tried the specialized contour grips so they could easily be added to the list.
  • Mudguards if you want them, and don't be swayed by the usual "I don't use mudguards because getting a mouth full of shlt makes me more of a man than you" brigade. I'm a fan of the offerings from "Muckynutz" as they do the job, without being too obtrusive.

As already said, toeclips are a terrible idea. Get some proper flat pedals and some proper shoes designed to work well with them if you're not into SPDs.

Dropper post is a god addition imho. I don't think I'd have a MTB without one now (unless it was a proper XC race weapon). Beware cheap copies though, it could prove to be more hassle than it's worth. Got a link?

Saddle, I'd say it'd be best to wait and see how you get on with the new one first. Give it a month of so of regular use, if you are still finding it uncomfortable after that, bang it on the classifieds and try something else. Charge Spoon is pretty much the default choice.

For me, first things I change on any bike is Grips, Saddle (I love my charge spoons, and so does my ass) and add a set of Wellgo MG1 pedals or Superstar pedals depending on use, budget etc. May also look at tyres if the stock ones are dump.

Most important thing though is to ride it stock for a while. Get a feel for what does and does not need changing.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Tyres, tyres, tyres.
    Anything that helps get your cockpit set up properly, bars/stem etc.

Tyres are the biggest thing though.
    Maybe you could try SPD pedals if you're already used to toe straps? SPDs are better by a country mile.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Dropper post might be worthwhile if you're doing lots of steep stuff, but for straight XC could be overkill.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    That bike has a 27.2 seatpost. You will struggle to find a dropper in that size, except a KS I think. On that bike, tyres first then maybe brakes if your budget stretches.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions ...

This is the dropper seat I got ... and as per previous comment - I don't think it's going to fit anyway..
    (it's 31.6X425mm - thought it was pretty cheap though - only £70)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140873686282?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

237324689_o.jpg

Looking forward to picking it up later today!
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Not gonna fit mate, sorry.
  • ^^^ Well I guess that'll give me a chance to try out the "For Sale" part of this forum ....
  • Seems a bit face about arse that. Buying a new to you frame might mean other bits don't fit, but your crappy dropper does.
  • Seems a bit face about ars* that. Buying a new to you frame might mean other bits don't fit, but your crappy dropper does.

Pretty sure he meant he was going to sell his cheap dropper.

Thanks for dropping by though. ;)
  • My top 3 would be in no particular order;
    1) Tyres
    2) Down tube mudguards - bit of a compromise but stop a good amount of mud from flying into your face
    3) Pedals - probably go for SPD's, something like the M545 (around £45) or M424 (around £24) nice large cage for learning to clip in, pretty cheap and should help with riding technique. I have a set of M545's on my old MTB and they get a real bashing but thats mostly to the cage so the mechanism is like new

Only my thoughts but its what I would go for.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • I'd change the contact points as needed to get the riding position right - so, any or all of:

saddle
    stem
    bars
    bar ends
    pedals

however I'd ride it as standard a few times to figure out which of those I didn't like
  • It's a shame you couldn't 'create your joyful life' with that dropper post.

For me, the things I'd sort first are :

1. Tyres.
    2. Cockpit (i.e. bars/stem/grips).
    3. Dropper post (only had it a couple of weeks but don't know how I lived without one for so long).
  • It's a shame you couldn't 'create your joyful life' with that dropper post.

For me, the things I'd sort first are :

1. Tyres.
    2. Cockpit (i.e. bars/stem/grips).
    3. Dropper post (only had it a couple of weeks but don't know how I lived without one for so long).

Yurns out my life may well be "joyful" after all as the seller has agreed to swap mine dropper post for the right sized one!

Some good suggestions here ... And tyres look like a good start on the upgrade path.
    Grips supplied are the specialized contour type which I've used and liked on my old bike.
    And my specialized gel saddle will be transferred across as well.
    Got some mudguards to install.
    Bars supplied are wider than I'm used to .. Presume it's because it's a 29er so wider bars to overcome more inertia from bigger wheel I'm guessing?
    Thinking about pedal upgrade. DMR V8 sound good... And red would match look of bike as well. :- )
  • Bars supplied are wider than I'm used to .. Presume it's because it's a 29er so wider bars to overcome more inertia from bigger wheel I'm guessing?

wide bars are the latest thing in handlebars, apparently

regardless of wheel size
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    For me it would be pedals (the originals will be crap), tyres (the originals will be crap) and a good mud guard.
    I'm using one of these mud guards and it's better than any other I have tried: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marsh-Mud-Gua ... 27cbfa0781

I wouldn't fit a dropper to a hardtail. They don't seem to cope so well with the harsher ride.
  • Ride it until you find out what you don't like.
  • Ride it until you find out what you don't like.
    Most tyres are black and round and will work fine unless you're doing DH racing.
    Pedals maybe - I usually swap over to Shimano DX which I use with flat shoes.
    With the rest of it use it and break it before swapping.