frame swapping.....

bomb_d
bomb_d Posts: 39
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
hey guys after a little help here.

i was looking at turning my fuji tahoe in to an on one 456 and wondered what i should look out for. are there any areas that would create problems for me or would it be as straight forward as it looks.

i am a little technical and am able to strip the bike down but i am not sure is there would be any compatibility issues.

any help would be good.

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Consider the seatpost diameter, the bottom bracket type, headtube size, front mech clamp and possibly rear brake mount. Everything else should go straight over.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Look up the specs of the frame (on the onone site) and compare your own frame spec (seattube size, clamps sizes, headset and so on). is the only way you can do it. if incompatible then you'll need adaptors or new parts.

But why are you wanting to change?
  • bomb_d
    reason for change is i want a smaller frame, when buying my current bike from evans cycles i was quite happy and my normal commute is not too terrible but if i want to go through and muddy stuff then i have a dilemma and its a painful one. once on soft ground i find that i have to sometimes unexpectedly dismount and this nearly ended in tears.

looking around i have seen a lot of nice builds using these frames and it will be a lot cheaper than going to buy a new bike.

dont get me wrong the fuji frame is fantastic and it looks great as well i just wish i got a smaller size.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What size is your Fuji frame and what size of Onone are you looking at?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Check fork steerer length as well as diameter.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Its unlikely youll be able to take everything from the Tahoe to a C456 but if your lucky you'll not need much. Everything mentioned above is correct in terms of checking different diameter sizes but I'd like to know why a 456? If you like the Fuji but its too big for trail riding, why not hunt for a small Tahoe frame? The C456 is a long travel hardtail. You can use 100mm forks but it negates the need to change in my opinion. If you want to do it then I suggest going for more travel. It's more to invest, but it'll be worth it.

Another consideration would something like a Whippet? More XC, takes 100mm forks and looks the biz.

My tuppence worth ;D
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Buying a frame on the basis it takes what you have is probably the wrong way of doing it.....choosing between 2/3 you WANT on the basis of which takes carry over makes more sense.

Most things are readily available used, sell the bits that don't fit and you'll only out the P&P!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bomb_d
    thanks for the info guys :)

reason for that particular frame..... i just like it, i would not mind staying with a fuji frame but finding one is not easy!

as for sizing i will be addressing that a little closer to buying. i looked at the whippet frame and it does not seem as chunky.