cleat wear

tonecoles
tonecoles Posts: 33
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
i am brand new to road cycling. i went out today clipped in for the first time (with no scary moments) when i took my shoes off i noticed the cleats looked really worn and damaged. they are look keo pedals with red colour cleats if that makes any difference.

thanks guys and apologies if my question seems stupid.

tone

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    As long as they clip in cleanly and stay clipped in when you want them too they are fine.

The look of them is not necessarily an indicator of worthiness. The corners etc. do scuff up from walking.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Mine look pretty beat up after 1k miles, but the wear indicator on em still says they have plenty of life left in em and still clip in/out just fine!
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    He'll be along soon.......
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    my look red cleats are really worn and battered (well past the wear indicators). As long as they don't pull out i'll keep using them.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Always reason to buy a 2nd pair of shoes and cleats :wink:
  • My cleats lasted about 50 rides covering almost 1000 miles.

My left foot unclipped a purple if times this morning so I got a new set this afternoon. I didn't realise how worn they were until I compared them to a new set.
  • tonecoles wrote:
    i am brand new to road cycling. i went out today clipped in for the first time (with no scary moments) when i took my shoes off i noticed the cleats looked really worn and damaged. they are look keo pedals with red colour cleats if that makes any difference.

thanks guys and apologies if my question seems stupid.

tone

I have a set of red look cleats that looked bashed from walking to the bike & I hadn't even ridden them. They are quite soft & the grey rubberised parts tend to take a bit of a bashing too but they should work fine.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.